February 11, 2011

Doing More with Fonts!


There are times I simply want an art-deco feel to my project and I have no cart that satisfies me. Fonts offer the perfect solution to my dilemma---even the symbols! So, grab your Gypsy and make those fonts do more!
The Recipe
1. Gather the scraps!
Gypsy Cardstock of choice:
  • Card base (5.5 x 9 “) Background (6 x 6”)
  • Coordinating stock for card and border
  • Decorative cut (6 x 6”)
Fine Glitter Cri-kit Pens
Stamp with sentiment of Choice
Ribbon
Cuttlebug and Cuttlebug “Swirls” embossing folder Assorted glue
2. Get ready!
From Gypsy Wanderings: Choose a letter or symbol. I used the “cent” symbol. Refer to the following video for specific directions on creating the motif.
  • Size finished motif to 3” and cut from 6 x 6” piece of paper. Embellish with glitter.
  • Decrease size of motif to 1”. Copy and Paste for a total of 4. Position in a straight line, using the 1” line of the mat for guidance. Fill an area no larger than 5” wide.
  • Remove the blade and insert the Cri-kit pen holder.
  • Send the design to the cutter. It will draw your border. Using a paper trimmer, trim the sketch strip to 2" x 5.5". There will be a 1/2 inch border either side of the design. Trim length to fit card.
  • Ink edges.
  • Cut the background piece 4 x 5.25” Ink the edges for depth. Emboss with Cuttlebug.
  • Cut a basic tag 1 x 2.” Ink the edges and stamp with sentiment.
3. Generate those gems!
  • Fold card base half: 4.25 x 5.5.
  • Glue ribbon to background, crossing at upper center. Glue background to card base.
  • Add border to lower edge of card.
  • Pop dot larger glittered embellishment to left side of card.
  • Tie tag to ribbon with bow where ribbons form the “x”. Pop dot to secure.
So quick, so fun and potential to be so personal! I hope you enjoy creating this gem as much as I did sharing! Until next time, Nonna

9 comments:

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Well now! What a very SMART idea! I would have never even thought of using fonts and symbols to make clever and unique embellishments! But this is gorgeous and so fun! Thanks for sharing!
hugs,
M

Barb Craft said...

how clever is this?! Thanks for the idea... next time I am waiting at one of my kids lessons, I am going to be trying this out!
barb :)

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a wonderful idea, it has my mind already thinking of what I could do. I know there are twirling A's in my future! GREAT IDEA and wonderful tutorial. Thanks for sharing with us today.

Bamabel said...

What a great idea! Love your project too!

papillon digital design said...

very smart! TFS. Your project is lovely

Sandy from Ukiah said...

What a fun idea. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

What an ingenious idea. Thanks for sharing your project.

Java Jen's Creations said...

This is great!!! I'm so glad I saw this! I will definitely be trying it soon!! Thanks for sharing!!

Scraps and Stitches MadeByAnne said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. Your art deco style artwork is great!