February 9, 2011

Piano Hinge Book

Good morning! This is Beatriz from Amazing Grace blog. Today I am bringing you a very cool project called "piano hinge book" (I actually knew it by another name -bamboo weaved book-).





 Supplies:
5 sheets of 12 x 12 card stock
Several sheets of your favorite printed paper
Embellishments to taste
5 - 12" bamboo skewers
Embroidery thread
Tacky Glue
Paper cutter
Scissors
Bone folder

Steps:
  • Fold each of the card stocks in half using bone folder.  Then trim 1" from each end so you end up with 5 folded card stocks, 11" x 6 
  • Align the template over the folded edge of the card stocks and trace along the "saw tooth" pattern with a pencil.  This is where you will make your cuts. E-mail me if you want the template at beatrizguzman58@yahoo.com

  • Cut out the notches you traced in the previous step. 

  • Slide a skewer into bottom of one of the folded card stocks and weave it through every other tab.  This is going to be the front cover 

  • With the spine (where the skewer is) to the left, place the front cover directly over the next page. Slide another skewer into bottom of this page and "weave" this page into the front cover.  The skewer will go through the first tab on this page, then through the second tab on the cover page, back to the third tab on this new page and so on until the skewer exits out the top.  The second, fourth, sixth (and so on) tabs on this new page should be empty.  These are going to be used to weave the third folded page into the book.

  • Continue in this fashion until all five pages are woven into the book. The last page will have unused tabs.  Don't worry about them.
  • Take the embroidery thread and interlace the tops and the bottoms of the skewers together, leaving some amount of extra thread at the top of the book.  (Later you're going to put some dangling beads or charms here to give the book an elegant look.)  Tie the threads off firmly.  Carefully use some tacky glue on the thread to help hold it to the skewers.

  • Cut off sharp the skewer tips.

  •  Knock yourself out decorating the pages and cover... and voila!
Thank you Sheila and  She's a Sassy Lady  for having me again. Have a fabulous and blessed day!

16 comments:

Brenda said...

oh how awesome!!! I love this...been wanting to do one forever thanks for the inspiration! Thanks for the detailed photos!The flowers and paper is sooo pretty!
hugs
Brenda

papillon digital design said...

Wow. I love this technique. Everyone can do with different ways to do book. And you have decorated it so well. TFS

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Oh my gosh gorgeous!!! Love this - how creative! Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea!
Hugs,
M

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

BEA, this is so UNIQUE I love it. I have never seen this type of book before. Look how beautifully it is decorated too. LOVELY JUST LOVELY. Thanks for the instructions and joining us here today.

Granny said...

Now isn't this pretty. I really like the flowers and the book is beautiful. TFS

Sandi Clarkson said...

Bea, I have been dying to know how these were put together! Didn't realize how easy they were! Thanks so much for this great tute! Now I can make one . woohoo!

Java Jen's Creations said...

What an awesome book!! This is such a cool technique!! I'm so glad I saw this today because I'm always looking for unique touches to my mini books!! You are so talented!! Thanks for sharing this here today!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

What an amazing book. Thanks for the detailed instructions.. Your cover is lovely.

CathyinMN said...

Your book is beautiful! Thanks so much for the tutorial on how to put this type of book together. It seems it will be easy enough that even I will be able to give it a go.

Jeannie said...

This book is gorgeous! I love your technique---so creative! Your instructions are wonderful. TFS.

Cricut Couple said...

What an incredible design! I have never seen this done before! Thank you SO Much for the inspiration and great instructions. Your decorations are INCREDIBLE! Love it!

Janette S. said...

Your book is beautiful and I love how it all goes together! Your instructions are great!

Barb Craft said...

Thanks for the step by step on this one! I have wanted to make one for a while now! I guess now that I have the directions I can get busy!!
barb :)

Unknown said...

What an awesome mini!! Love the weave technique!

Bamabel said...

What a lovely project! It looks great!

piano hinge said...

Nice to see the book about piano hinge. Awesome and excellent creativity done by the use of pensils and skewer in those photos. Really attractive.