April 20, 2011

Birthday Cake

Hello Crafty Friends!!!!
Sherri here from Sherri's Crafty Place I am so happy to be here and share a project with you today.....
My project today is a Birthday Cake I made for my BFF, it was her Birthday this past Friday, I do have the Cricut Cake, but I really didn't have the time to roll out the fondant and really get too fancy with it, so instead I used my Cricut Expression, no I did not put food stuffs in to it, I used it to cut a piece of paper, ok I know this is sounding weird now, but stay with me and I'll show you what I did....
So what I did was bake a cake, after the cake was cooled I wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in freezer, it should be in freezer for a good 5 or 6 hours, even over night would be good. Then I measured my cake pan, it was 6x10. So now I get out my Gypsy and make a rectangle using those measurements, then on a new page I found a Butterfly shape, ( she loves Butterflies)
The image I used was from the Stamping Solutions cart, I used the Blackout Feature, size is 9.01 x 5.86
next I cut my Butterfly shape out, using my Expression and computer copy paper, then I took my cake out of the freezer, placed my image on top of my cake and using a serrated knife I started cutting away cake....


I choose this Butterfly because it did not have antenas, Now I did not put a filling in this cake, if you wanted to I would but it back in the freezer, for an hour or 2 then slice it in half and put in filling.
Here I am icing the cake, she loves pink....
and I love purple....Unfortunatly it was a very rainy day, so I am so sorry the pic is soo dark, I had some batter left some I used it up by making cupcakes....I wish I had more time to spend on the cake, I would have liked to add more colour, next time, I just Love using my Expression, and I Love that I can use it to make a shape and then make a shape cake with it......
I hope you all enjoyed my post for today, a different way of using your Expression. I would love to see any cakes you make, Easter is coming, I think I may try a Bunny shape cake for this weekend....

and here is a quick card I made for her, using her favourite cart, Paper Lace, I used PL to cut out the butterfly lace background, the I used my Maya Mist to give it a little shimmer, The stamp is a Smirk Stamp, and I used ProMarkers to colour my images....
Thanks so much for stopping by today.....I hope you all have a Crafty week.....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet cake!! I love how you used your E to make the cake shape! I find that I use my Gypsy for just about everything craft related!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Wonderful cake, and with the holiday this weekend I am hoping I will have enough time to whip up something special too with my Expression & Gypsy. Thanks for the great idea and tutorial you shared with us today.

Audrey Frelx said...

Sherri, how clever! I don't have the Cricut Cske either, but I don't think I would have thought of this. The cake looks yummy and that is such a great idea!

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! I will certainly keep this in mind as I do cakes for my kids...super smart!!!!!!

Angi Barrs said...

Awww so sweet & cute. Fab idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea, I will have to try this. TFS

Granny said...

This is so nice of you to do for a friend. I know she will like it. TFS

Java Jen's Creations said...

I just love coming across fantastic ideas like this!! Thanks so much for sharing this and providing such a great tutorial!!