September 18, 2014

Index Card A Day

ICAD - Birds Of The Air

Hi Everyone!

ICAD stands for Index Card A Day and there is a group who post on Google+ if you want to know more and see how people are using it. Basically it's a creative way to try new techniques (just like art journaling) but it's the size of a index card or any size you want it to be and will fit into a file box. These can be future card fronts, or elements for your scrapbook or mixed media projects or tags! I am going to try and spend 30 minutes max for these as I have a lot of other projects in my studio that need finishing!


Today's ICAD began with mixed media paper from Hobby Lobby cut at 4.75 by 5.75 and I started my background using my Faber Castell Gelato's.

These Gelatos apply like Chapstick! I really enjoy using them.

After applying them I dipped my index finger into my water well and just blending them. Super easy and fast. You can use a baby wipe, paint brush or water pen to. I love the vibrant color so I kept the water to a minimum and blended and added kore color where I wanted it.

I use my hair dryer on a cool setting to dry it. You can use a heat gun to. 

Now for some texture! I used a stencil, white gesso and a MS dauber. I dried it again.

The verse I am memorizing is about birds so I went to this fab stamp set!

So I used Momento ink and supposedly it's permanent after it's dried. This is not true! It smudged, but I kept on going!


In retrospect I wish I had embossed this image in fine black embossing powder for more texture. 
 I used the gold metallic gelato to stamp this sunburst stamp. Applied it directly to the stamp and them misted it water.


I dried it using the cool setting of my hair dryer as I did not want to melt the Gelato so it would be even more texture. Then I took it outside and sealed it with an acrylic sealant. This allows me to add more mediums to it without the colors running.


I added the Distress White Marker to my bird  and let it dry and repeated the process about 3 times. Also added some around the branch to highlight it.  I wrote my verse using my black Sharpie. Then for a little bling I used my Wink Of Stella pen. I dried it again and will add another coat of acrylic sealant.


This is one of my go to verses when I need to encourage myself from the act of worrying. 


Have a blessed day!
Donna Lee

2 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Donna this card is beautiful. Love the colors and I always love a card with scripture. Thanks for sharing today.

Karon said...

Such a wonderful idea and great colours. TFS