April 4, 2016

Me and You Wood Sign

Hello!  I am so happy to be here this month!!  I have taken some time away since and am glad to be  back!!  I have not been paper crafting in a while - instead I have been painting wood signs, and using my heat press.

Today I want to show you how I made a sign for a very sweet couple.  My friend built the sign and painted it black. She distressed the paint and asked me to do the lettering.
I opened up my Silhouette program and put a 12 x 24 mat on my screen.  I use the grid to help center my designs.  When making a large sign, I create a rectangle that represents the sign.  I found a pretty font and typed out my message - his one is a line from a Kenny Chesney song.  I start out smaller and enlarge the words.  

I use small dots to help line up my sign pieces since I can only cut 12 x 24 strips of  Oramask 813 stencil film as it comes on a 24" roll.  The center red dots are the center of the sign.  The other dots help me line it all up.

I cut out the design in sections and piece them together on the wood sign.
I almost forgot to take a picture of this part!!!  You can see the stencil on parts of the wood.  I used three thin coats of white acrylic paint.  I peeled off the stencil when the paint was almost dry. 
In this picture you can see the outlet on the wall - it shows just how big it is 28" xx 52"! 
Here it is in the back of my Honda Pilot on its way to my friend.
This was a gift to his wife - the line is from their wedding song.  I was honored to be part of this special gift!!!

Thank you Sheila for having me on your blog today!!!


0 comments: