October 2, 2015

Sweet Birthday

Happy October Sassy People!!

Can you believe there are only three months left in the year? In the month of October, there are a lot of birthdays in my family. My mother-in-law’s birthday is today and my son’s is tomorrow. I have an uncle, cousin, and a few friends who will be celebrating birthdays this month. So I am going to share a birthday card!

Let me tell you; this card is completely different than what I intended. When I first started off, I was just going to do a simple watercolor background using distress inks add happy birthday with a few sequins and call it an evening. However, the markers (Chameleon) were calling my name and the stamps (Lawn Fawn’s Baked With Love) said, “Play with us Kenya, play with us!” Before I knew it, I was coloring and masking off stamped images to give a layered look. 

Chameleon markers are fairly new on the market. I have had them for about three months and colored with them just a hand full of times. There is a learning curve, but I really do like them. I used this card to further play with color layering and how to fuse the colors correctly. I can sit here and cry about all of the mistakes, but I would rather focus on what I do like. I like being able to have one marker make smooth transitions between colors. But again, this can be tricky. I really like how the bowl turned out as well as the butter and eggs. 


After I finished coloring the image, I used Avery Elle’s Wonky Rectangles to cut out my watercolor layer as well as the colored layer. I was going to put the sentiment on the inside with the piping bag, but decided at the last minute to put it on the outside instead. The sentiment is up a little higher than I would like, but overall, I think it still turned out ok! 
To add a little more shimmer, I added Wink of Stella Clear Pen to the bowl, and hearts (stamped with LF’s Lobster ink). 



That’s it! I hope you were inspired by this project…imperfections and all. That is all apart of the crafting process! Remember to stop by regularly to check out the talented DT. Have a great weekend, Kenya~

2 comments:

Boopster said...

The coloring is terrific. The OTHER gorgeous detail (not even mentioned!) is the stitching on both layers - perfect! All without a blanket fort, too.

Krafthead said...

Thank you for the love Boopster!~