June 17, 2013

CRI-KITS MARKERS FOR SHADOWING



Hi, everyone, this is Charlotte C.  Thank you, Sheila for another opportunity to share a card with all your followers.  I made this rather simple card for my son-in-law for Father’s Day and thought I’d share how I “shadowed” the lighthouse and seagulls from Life Is A Beach.  I had no luck trying to enlarge the images to create a shadow cut; the proportions didn’t seem to work for me. 

I actually drew the images with a black Cri-Kits marker directly on some designer paper.   First, using my Gypsy, I placed a rectangle, the lighthouse and seagulls on the screen mat to size everything, then put my DP in the exact location on my Cricut mat and had it draw just the lighthouse and seagulls.  




I assembled the lighthouse, but when I placed my lighthouse on the drawing I realized the black border wasn’t showing enough, so before adhering it, I used a ruler and carefully made the black lines thicker. 
 All I did after that was glue the lighthouse and seagulls directly to the DP, pop-dotted the second set of seagulls, stitched that layer onto a second speckled layer which I inked and used pop-dots to adhere it all to the card base.  A little bling for the light.
Here’s the finished card and the inside.  


 
The finished card is 5 x 7; lighthouse layer is sized at 4 ½ x 6 ½ ; second speckled layer is 4 ¾ x 6 ¾ ; lighthouse drawn and cut at 5.4; seagulls cut at 2.0.  Layering papers are from Close To My Heart and the rest is Stampin Up.  Stamp is Anna Griffin (so not happy with how I did that part, but it is what it is.)

I think this card would be suitable for any “manly” occasion.  Thank you for stopping by today and I wish you a happy week.  

6 comments:

Amy said...

Very nice job and great tutorial! I have both the Cri-Kit markers and the Cricut brand (the older style) markers. I love the Cri-kits, but the Cricut brand markers do produce a thicker line.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Love to use those pens for shadowing! They are the greatest but I have to tell you that I really appreciate that you are showing this today as it is a wonderful reminder for me to use them more! Thanks for sharing today.

Karon said...

Beautiful card and wow that is so effective! TFS and have a great week.

Cindy@ Scrap-obsessed.blogspot.com said...

What a great idea for a shadow. Thanks for the tip.

Unknown said...

Great idea for shadowing - especially for pieces without shadow layers!! Very nice card!!

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Cool technique!