June 29, 2013

Perfect Spinning Pinwheels


Hi friends,
Sandy here from Scrapbook Blessings.  This is my first post at She's a Sassy Lady, and I am very excited.  This is the first blog that I followed when I got my Cricut and Gypsy wayyyy back when.  I just love all the tutorials and inspiration, and now I can something with you too!  Talk about coming full circle.  Thanks Shelia for letting me be a part of your team of wonderful crafters!

Since today is my first post AND my birthday (late 30 something, lol),  I wanted to share a fast and easy project that I do with my kiddos and for parties... A very cool SPINNING Pinwheel done for you step by step.


  • Items needed: 12x12- double sided pattern paper, scissors, paper piercer, skewers, button, 2 small plastic beads, and floral/jewelry wire


  • Measure and cute paper into 4 pieces of 6x6



  • Score corner to corner (back side of paper to show score lines better)



  • Crease and fold, making sure all score lines are going the same way (this is what helps with the spinning)


  • Cut on each score line 3/4 of the way



  • Now prep your handle by grabbing the skewer and floral wire, and cutting off about 4", wrapping one end around the stick




  •  Back to the paper, fold a corner point into the middle like below


  • Fold every other corner in to the middle to create the wheel

 

  • When you have every other point meeting in the middle, used your paper piercer and make a hole in the middle of the pinwheel. Keep it on the piercer to hold in place



  • Going back to the skewer, 1) place one of the pearl beads on the wire for the back



  • 2) next comes the paper 
  • 3) the other bead for the front



  • 4) the button comes on last



  • The hardest part for me is getting the wire through the other whole of the button and tight enough (I have to do this part for the kiddos too, but it can be done!). Then I wrap the wire behind the button to keep it on.



  • Almost done!  Now for the finishing touch, a little tag for the stick.  I used a scallop circle tag (a cut using the Cricut) and tied on with some ribbon.



  • My ribbon secret..... Tie it Upside Down on the skewer!  



  • You will get your tails to point down if you do!


So I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on making a Spinning Pinwheel! Perfect for the kiddos at any party!

(FYI: Cricut Craft Room has a special exclusive- 3D Pinwheels!  It is a set of 5 different pinwheels digital cuts that you can use with your machine. You can find them HERE)


Hope you have a blessed day and thanks for stopping by,
 

6 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Sandy, these are just as cute as can be... so festive for this time of year they would be perfect to use for any occasion! Thanks for sharing with us today.

Karon said...

Welcome and love these pinwheels - how pretty! Thanks for sharing.

D- said...

What a fun idea. TFS.
D~
http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

ottersln said...

Perfect! Thanks for sharing.

Charlotte C said...

Welcome, and such cute pinwheels.

scrapnlifeaway said...

Hi! great tutorial!! these will be awesome to make with my grandaughter!! you did a great job!!