June 16, 2014

BBQ Apron Card



                     Hello, everyone, this is Charlotte C.  Thank you, Sheila, for the opportunity to share a Father’s Day card I made which would be good, I think, for any male card.
                      The card is an image from the Silhouette Store – a Mother’s Day apron card – which I altered in two ways.  First I enlarged everything until the card base filled up the mat side to side, which gave me a 5 ¾ folded card base.  What I didn’t realize when I did that was how high (tall) the card would be and how it would present an envelope dilemma, but I’m getting ahead of myself.
                       I now ungrouped everything and placed only the front liner (apron) on my mat.  (I did 3 at a time but I’ll continue writing this as if I just did one.)  Now I typed the name and positioned it at the top of the apron where I wanted the “monogram.”  This picture shows all 3 fronts with the names in place.

I  clicked “no cut” for the apron itself and I used my Chomas pen holder and gel pen to write the name.  I wasn’t concerned about the letters not being a single line font or filled in – I rather liked it in this case.  When the name is finished printing, it’s important not to unload the mat at this point because you have to now go back to your virtual mat, remove the name, put the cut lines back on the apron and cut the apron by clicking “cut again.”
 I then cut the same liner in ivory card stock for the inside sentiment and went on to cut the base, the neck piece and the pocket.  The pocket that came with the original image was deeper and I really didn’t like it, so I kind of nudged the bottom of the shape up a bit.  I sized and cut some “tools” in black and adhered them to the front, but the plain pocket did nothing for me.  I searched the Silhouette Store and found this cute little print and cut BBQ’ing cow – perfect embellishment for a man’s card.  I did some stitch lines and inking on everything.

This is the finished card

 The card ended up being just shy of 10” tall by a tad over 5 ¾” wide.  I created my own envelope by scoring a piece of 12 x 12 DP at 3” and 9”, turning it 90 degrees and scoring it at 1” and 11”.  I cut off the edges between the score lines.  To close the envelope lengthwise, I adhered a 1” strip of DP first to one side of the seam, then to the other side.  I cut a slight angle on the 1” pieces.  I have a little diagram of the cutting/scoring
This is what the back of the finished envelope looks like with the top flap open.
 
I might make it smaller next time I do this – or not.  Hope you’re all headed for a great summer.


Post a Comment