July 6, 2015

Flag Shutter

I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July if you live in the US!!  Lori here from ScrappinMyStressAway with a fun holiday project (Pinterest Inspired) made from a reclaimed shutter.
 
First I pulled off the bars on the front of the shutter - the ones you move up and down to open and close the shutters.  In order to keep the bars from twirling after the bar is removed, I taped the back of the shutters.
 
I spray painted the shutterwhite - I did 3 coats.
 
Next came the fun part!!  I used painter's tape to tape off all of the parts I wanted to keep white.  I then spray painted the red stripes.  Again it took 3 coats.
On the other side of the newspaper is a star I cut out of vinyl.  I spray painted that section blue.
 
I had a little overspray but a little white acrylic paint and paintbrush worked perfectly to cover that up!
 
I put the shutter in my front yard near my porch.  My friend keeps offering to take it off my hands for me!!  I had fun making this project, but it was a lot more work than I thought it would be!!
 
Thank you Sheila for having me over today!!
 

4 comments:

Charlotte C said...

It's a great use of an old shutter. TFS

Krafthead said...

Great way to up-cycle and decorate your yard at the same time!

moknowsall said...

wonderful project. Now I'm going to be on the lookout for a shutter!

maureen
moknowsallcrafts.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

WOW, that came out amazing, great job.