January 13, 2011

Valentine Treat Bags!

Hello everyone!  It's me... Barb! And I am back to share a new project with you! My daughter likes to take treats to every person she knows for every holiday. This year for Valentine's Day, we thought we would make these cute little treat bags!
These are simple to do and something you can do with your kids! 

Supplies Needed:
Patterned paper
Solid Color Cardstock
Ribbon
Satin Fabric
Brads
Clear Bags
Lighter
And of course, your adhesives of choice!

I used the one of tags from the Tags, Bags, Boxes and More Cartridge. The tag on the left is the one I started with. I altered the height and width so it would fit my clear bags. My bags were 4 inches wide so I went almost 4.5 inches so that I had a little room on each side of the bag. The height was set around 3 inches. This is the one I cut on the patterned paper. I took the same shape and made it slightly larger and cut it again using the red cardstock so that I could layer them.

Here is what it looks like when they are cut. I was careful to fold these so that when they were layered they lined up correctly. I used my Martha Stewart scoring tool for this. I also went ahead a placed a piece of ribbon around the top layer and taped it on the back before I adhered the two layers together.

I needed a little embellishment for this darling little treat bag so I raided my daughters fabric stash and found this beautiful pink satin fabric. I cut 3 circles... each one slightly larger than the one before. These do not need to be perfect circles... in fact they look better if they aren't!

If you remember my post from a few months ago, you may remember my fondness for flames!! I used the lighter to singe the edge of each circle. You do not want the flame to touch the fabric, just get it close enough that it melts the edges.

When the edges start to melt, the circles curl up a little which makes it perfect for flowers! Here are the circles stacked and ready for a brad.

I added a brad to the center and used a glue dot to adhere it to the paper.

And for those of you who are afraid you are going to burn down your house, I have another option for you! Instead of melting the edges (you can tell from this picture that melting this fabric didn't work so well.. I actually started to burn it!! Ooops!!) you can add a little glue and these Martha Stewart microbeads. I added 3 brads to this one just to make it a little different!

And here is the final project! I'm sure we will be making some cards to deliver with these! I hope you enjoyed this project and got some new ideas! You can find my blog HERE! Thank you Sassy for allowing me to visit your blog again this month!!

9 comments:

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Barb - these are adorable - oh my gosh and that red flower is stunning!! Thanks for this cute idea!
Hugs
M

Audrey Frelx said...

Barb, what adorable treat bags! Great job and great tutorial!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Love it! Adorable and very, very useful.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Barb these little treat bags age gorgeous. I love the flowers you made to adorn them... just beautiful. I think I would need to work with the glue as I would have burnt lttle nubs for fingers as I am such a clutz!! LOL, still remembering my glue gun fiasco. Thanks for sharing these great techniques with us today.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I am sure the kids are going to love them..

Angi Barrs said...

So fun and cute. Love those flowers. They are gorgeous. :)

Unknown said...

Hi there! I found you over at Cricutolics. I love that you do the Gypsy tutorials. I'll be following you!

Love the treat bags!

Unknown said...

Adorable treat bag toppers!!! I am paranoid about candles that I don't even burn them in my house!!

Granny said...

Oh these are great little bags. So pretty. TFS