February 2, 2011

Spring Layout

Hello SassyLady friends, this is Kate from Sassy and Scrappy. I bought the Mother's Day solutions cartridge a couple weeks ago and decided I HAD to use it. I have to admit I was a little overwhelmed by the variety of flowers, but they seem to all mix and match really well. I also used some ribbon from my fellow Design Team member Kimberly at My Craft Spot and I absolutely love it. And no, she didn't pay me to say that, lol. In fact, I didn't even mention who I was when I placed my order. So check her ribbon out here!


I started by trimming my blue patterned paper to 11 x 11-inches and gluing the center down to the white 12 x 12-inch paper. I didn't apply adhesive close to the edges of the blue paper to avoid "gumming" up my sewing machine.



Next up were the flowers. I picked 4 different flowers and cut 19 varying sizes. Here they are before being layered and embellished.
After layering the flowers I decided to add glitter. I used liquid craft glue and used my paintbrush to apply the glue to the edges of the flowers. I applied the glue fairly liberally and to each layer of the flower. Then I sprinkled the flower with some Martha Stewart glitter. Of course, you could always use Stickles as well.
And here's the end result. I think the flower looks "sugared" now. Isn't it fun!

Next up was some tearing. I know it's not easy to tear pretty paper, but you should give it a try at least once. It's kind of therapeutic, actually! I hold the paper down with my left hand and tear with my right. That way I can control how much of the paper is torn.


The next step was adding ribbon. I used a small amount of removable adhesive, it applies small dots and definitely disperses less glue, which I figured was a little safer for my sewing machine. I didn't adhere the ribbon straight down, hopefully you can see the folding in the picture below.

And here's what it looks like now, I really love how it turned out. As you can see in the picture below, I also inked the edges of my torn paper.


Next I started assembling my layout. Here is a fun close-up of some of the flowers and my journal tag.



I wanted to keep the layouts pretty simple on these 2 pages because I didn't want to have too much going on. I didn't want to detract from the pictures (to be added in the future) or the flowers. Here's the left page, with a little journal tag tucked into the flowers.


Right page. I love how the flowers add so much dimension, and the little worm is just adorable.


Details:
  • Cardstock-Bazzil (white)
  • Pattern Paper-Fancy Pants 'Wishful Thinking'
  • Bird-'Simply Charmed' cut at 2.25-inches
  • Worm-'April Showers' cut at 2-inches
  • Tree-'April Showers' cut at 8.50-inches
  • "SPRING" banner-'April Showers' cut at 2.5-inches
  • Flowers-'Mother's Day Bouquet' cut at 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 and 2-inches
  • Buttons-Papertrey Ink
  • Ribbon-My Craft Spot (Denim)
  • Buttons-Papertrey Ink
  • Peachy Keen Stamps-'Character Face Parts' and 'Wide Eyed Kids'
  • Journal Tag-Die Cut from Papertrey Ink
I had a lot of fun putting this layout together and I hope it gives you some ideas and inspiration. As always, thank you Sheila for letting me share my work on your blog. I hope you'll come visit me at Sassy and Scrappy for more projects and fun.
Post a Comment