March 11, 2013

Ballerina cards

Hi there!  This is Melody again from A Splash Here and There blog.   Thanks Sheila for having me over once a month.

Today I’m sharing a few 3 3/4 x 8 inches cards with basically the same images but each done up a little bit different.  Why the odd measurement you asked?  Well they were originally meant to fit into letter sized envelopes but as I decorated them they turned out to be a little (a lot, really) too bulky for them.  No worries though because I was able to create envelopes for these bulky cards.

This project was designed using the Silhouette Studio using images purchased from the Silhouette Store.  I started out by creating a base card measuring 7.49 x 8 inches (shown below in green).  Then I centered a perforation in the middle of the base, where I would want the card folded in half.  I created a mat for the front of the card (shown in pink) by sizing a rectangle 3.5 x 7.75 inches.  For the front panels (shown as the black layer), I used the internal offset feature and sized them at 3.25 x 7.5 inches. 
Then I took this front panel (again, the size flood-filled in black), and sized the assorted ballerina silhouette (these came in a group!) by Jamie (Design ID #32539) to fit inside.
And here are the three different front panels in my Silhouette Studio, before sending them to my wide format printer and cutting with my Cameo. The registration marks on the screen are the same ones that the Cameo will use to cut where it needed to cut. 
The background on the top one was flood-filled with the butterfly pattern by Olivia (Design ID #21069).  The background in the middle was flood-filled in black, while the same ballerina silhouette was printed in pink, as a sketch.  For the bottom one, I used the same ballerina silhouette done up in sketch, but left the background clear.  I used the Times New Roman font for the “SOAR” sentiment, and used the sketch feature to print it in black.  Below is a closeup of the front panels, after printing and cutting. 
And here are closeups of the finished cards again, after embellishing them with premade ribbon rosettes, sticker gems, faux stitching with gel pens and embossed (Plum Blossoms CB folder) strips in coordinating colors. 
Oops almost forgot to show you how I created the matching envelopes.  As I mentioned earlier, the cards ended up being too bulky for the letter sized envelopes I intended to put them in, so I found an envelope image called #10 string tie envelope by Lori Whitlock (Design ID #31274) and sized it to fit my cards.  I just deleted parts I didn’t need (string closure), used the offset feature on the perforation layer to create a boxy-type of envelope.  I used the Pristina font for the “For” and the “From” sentiments on front of the envelopes and then to coordinate, I used the ballet shoes image by Rivka Wilkins (Design ID #8971), but used it as a print only, in sketch. 
Now there is plenty of room for each bulky card Winking smile.
Just had to add one more ribbon rosette Winking smile.
Hope you liked the project I shared with you all today.  Have a great week! 


Audrey Frelx said...

Meloday, your cards are beautiful!!! I love the dimension!

Sandra said...

These cards are gorgeous. Thanks for providing all the detail of how they were made.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

This is a wonderful card. Love the design and the great colors you chose. Thanks for sharing with us today!

Java Jen's Creations said...

Beautiful cards! So elegant! Thanks for the great tutorial!

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Thanks ladies! ;)

Karon said...

WOW three fabulous cards from one style. Love it!!! And the envelope is gorgeous. TFS