March 19, 2013

Owl Love You!

Hi all my crafty peeps.  It's Karon here from Karon's Krafty Korner, thanks for letting me come share each month.

I spent yesterday morning in the craft room, having a play around and finally came up with this card. Hmmm, wonder who its for :-)


I wanted to share with you, how I made the metallic background.  Firstly, I have to show you what I used!  You can get it in Lowes and it is near where they keep the other shelf savers, you know the plastic you can can put on your shelves to protect them.  This roll cost around $10.


Firstly, I cut a piece of cardstock and then covered it with the peel and stick.


The I cut this to the size I wanted, which was 4.5" by 3".


Now I didn't want it all shiny and new, so I decided to use my Spectrum Noir markers (TN7 & TN8) to make it look a bit rusty.


I used the TN7 first, going over the peel and stick every couple of inches, then using the sponge to dab it lightly.  You have to work quite quickly, as the alcohol marker dries quite fast.  Do this until you cover the whole piece.


Next, I did the same thing with TN8 marker.


As I said, it dries really quickly, so I then ran it through my Cuttlebug, with a new purchase folder by Sizziz Tim Holtz Alterations called Riveted Metal.


Doesn't it look like rusty metal.  So pleased with how it turned out.  Next I cut the piece into 6 equal pieces.


Then I used my ATG gun and placed these on a piece of backing paper from my stash.


Then all I had to do was layer it up on my card.  The owl stamp was from the $1.50 bucket at Michaels and was perfect for what I wanted. I stamped it with Memento Tuxedo Black and then I used two brads to accentuate his eyes.  He is then placed up on pop dots and added to the centre of the card.


I also added another four brads to the four corner pieces. I inked all the edges of all layers and for the inside, I used the same papers and also found another little owl to stamp.  


I hope you like the result that I got with the peel and stick, it's so nice to work with and embosses beautifully.  

Thanks for stopping by today

Happy crafting.

10 comments:

lovemypaper said...

Very cute card I love that idea off to Lowes in the morning.

Karon said...

Thanks for the comment - appreciate it :-)

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Wow, how nice is this... Love the technique. And look at that color... Awesome. Thanks for sharing with us today.

Lisa said...

What a cute card, love that technique, and the color came out great, I can see using different colors also. Great tutorial. The owls are adorable.

Java Jen's Creations said...

Wow! I would have never thought to pick up some of that to use in my crafting!! This is awesome! I'm just thinking of all the possibilities! Your card is super cute! Thanks so much for sharing your great tutorial!!

Candy said...

I love it--- that background is so cool! I'm definetely looking for that metallic roll !

Karon said...

Thanks everyone - hope you are all having a good week.

Audrey Frelx said...

Karon, I love it!!! What a great idea too!!! I'll have to buy some of that peel and stick!

Kel said...

Super card. I really like the metalic! I'm a lover of the owl theme too. Great job on this.

GabyCreates.com said...

what a great technique and yes it does look rusty metal! TFS
It's been a while but glad I stopped to take a look at all the wonderful creations !!