December 18, 2012

Santa's Sleigh - A Gift

Hey peoples - how is everyone.  It's Karon here, from Karon's Krafty Korner - to share some last little bit of Christmas inspiration here at She's a Sassy Lady.

I have been seeing these lovely sleighs with a box incorporated all over blog land - but I have yet (notice the yet!) to get hold of a Cameo - Father Christmas do you hear the little hint!

I decided to do it the old fashion way and this is what I came up with.


I used the Circut Cartridge Winter Woodland for the sleigh (page 53) cut at 3" (actual size is 3" high by 5.25" wide),  I cut the sleigh out twice normal and then flipped the image and cut out twice again.  Here is the screen shot.


The reason that I cut four sleighs, was to glue two together to give it that extra bit of strength - I don't have the deep cut blade to be able to use thicker materials.

After gluing two sleighs together, I then glued on the sleigh layer and then I ran this through my Cuttlebug with the Divine Swirls folder; only embossing the top part of the sleigh.


Now came my awkward part - making the box to attach to the sleigh.

First you will need (for this size sleigh - any bigger and you will have to work out the size of your box) a piece of card stock that is 7.5" by 6.5".

You will score the longest side at 2" and 5.5".


Next score lines on the shorter side, score at 2" and 4.5".


Now we need to shape the box.  So we are going to measure 5/8" up from the 2"/4.5" score line as below and mark with a little dot, then draw a line as below - please note the orientation and that you are making these lines on the longer edge.


Next you are going to cut off these pieces.


The next piece to cut is as below - again 5/8".


Next to cut your flaps ready to form your box.


And now we can make up the box by securing the flaps and there you have it.  A nice shaped box to attach your sleighs.


I used silver card to make up my box - all you need to do is then secure your sleighs to your box.


I then made a small box to go inside the sleigh - it measures 3" by 2" by 3" high.  I filled this with lovely chocolates and added a lovely bit of ribbon.  The holly was cut at 1" .


And that is it, all done and a lovely gift to share.

Thanks Sheila for having me visit each and every month.

I hope you all have a fabulous Christmas season and see you all again in the New Year.

Happy crafting.

16 comments:

Amy said...

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing how you made the box--def. making one of these when I get home from work!

Chris said...

This is so so cute, wondering if the box will hold a gift card??? Would love to make this as a gift :)

Scrappin Rabbit Designs said...

Your sleigh is amazing! What a clever idea for a gift. Thanks for sharing all your details. Merry Christmas.

~Tami
http://scrappinrabbitdesigns.blogspot.com

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Wow what a wonderful idea this is just adorable. Love the design on this is, how you turned a box into a sleigh. Or should I say a sleigh into a box? Adorable. Thanks for sharing with us today.

Barb Smith said...

Very cute indeed. Great job!

Barb from Toronto, Canada
http://barbsmithdesigns.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

WTG Karon :)
Love it!! and your tutorial is great too
Hugs
Adele

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Ah, Karon! Your project is awesome! Thanks for the tutorial. Hope you get a Cameo for Christmas ;).

Karon said...

Thanks so much everyone. Cameo might have to wait until the new year, money a little tight - I will get one eventually :-) Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for your wonderful comments.

Migdalia said...

Oh!My!Goodness!!This is Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!Love!Love!Love!
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia

Norma G. said...

Wow, very cool project...oh & beautiful too!!!

Charlotte C said...

This is beautiful, and such a feat in engineering. Congrats on a great job - just love it.

SherriC. said...

adorable....I am totally gonna be scraplifting this idea.....
TFS!!!!!

Lisa said...

WOW, absolutely gorgeous. What an awesome project.

VICTORIA said...

This is awesome!!!!! great job on the sleigh :)
Vicky

papillon digital design said...

Wow! This is awesome. Love the sleigh box

Karon said...

Thanks every one:-)