November 18, 2014

From Trash to Treasure!

Hello everyone.  It's Karon here from Karon's Krafty Korner for my monthly visit here at She's A Sassy Lady.  Thank you so much for letting me come visit and share with you, Sheila.

Today I have something a little different to share with you all. Grab a coffee and stay awhile.

Have you ever wondered what to do with those books you no longer want.


Well, I recently found this great tutorial on You tube to change a book into a holiday tree.

I just couldn't resist doing this and found the folding quite relaxing.  You need to have a book that has 150 pages or more.  Start off folding the pages.  Here's the first few folded.


The first 50 folded :-)


You keep going to at least 150, don't think you will get much more than that but you can try.  Just remove any excess pages and your done.


I then sprayed it with some Tim Holtz Bundled Sage Distress Ink.  Also some Perfect Pearls mist, Heirloom Gold and then I had to add some really fine Glitter glue, to give it a little more sparkle.


Next up, some luxury ribbon, and a lovely star.  The star was from Michaels, there were three and they are called Merry Mini's.  They are meant to be hanging ornaments but I cut off the small link and was able to use it for the top of my tree :-)


Then came the fun part, finishing it off.  I wanted to make it into a table decoration.  I took the lid from a 9" round Christmas gift box and used it as the stand.  I placed the tree on a little lid (just to raise it up a bit) from another small box.  


The tiny little gift boxes, were cut using my Silhouette Cameo and the box from Birds Cards, I sized them in Silhouette Design Studio, so that my finished boxes were 1.5" square, 0.75" square and even as small as 0.5" square. Then added some ribbon to make them look really Christmassy.


Father Christmas was just a little find at the Dollar Store, he is the perfect size for my little centre piece.


I so enjoyed making this and can see me making more, I might even make some for gifts.


And there you have it, from "trashy" novel to a Christmas treasure.  What do you think?


I think I will have to make another one, because I would like to see if I could add some miniature Christmas lights to one :-)

Thanks again.

Happy crafting.

9 comments:

Charlotte C said...

Genius, that's what you are. Awesome tree centerpiece.

Sonya said...

You are truly a creative genius. I'm impressed, my friend! Well done!

Lisa said...

WOW Karon, that is awesome. What a beautiful centerpiece. Great idea Mrs. Creativity. Fantastic. :)

BethAnn M said...

Amazing! I love it, and I need to give this a try. Thank you! BethAnn M

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

This is amazing! Love the design. Thank you for sharing today!

Java Jen's Creations said...

What a fun project and it's so beautiful!!
Thanks for sharing this!!

Karon said...

Thanks so much everyone :-)

Boopster said...

Great example of "repurposing" old items. Glad you clarified it was a "trashy" book - a bookworm such as myself would have a difficult time using a book of substance, even for such a glorious result, ha-ha! Truly beautiful.

Dk said...

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial.