August 20, 2013

A Creative Journey....The Beginning...

Hello there!  It's Karon here, from Karon's Krafty Korner for my visit here with you all.  Thanks Sheila for putting up with me each and every month.

Today's post is a little look at the beginning of my Art Journal.  I bought this journal about 4 months ago and it has been sitting on the shelf, occasionally looking out at me and asking me if I was going to do anything with it.


This weekend past, I finally decided it was about time to treat it to a make over.  It started out as a little black journal.


I first took the cover off the journal to make it easier to work with and then gave it one coat of Gesso.


At this stage, I disappeared off for a few hours as I decided to take my girls to the cinema to see Turbo - great film by the way. 

When I came back it was completely dry.  Next up was to apply some acrylic paints.  I used (Daler & Rowney) Lemon Yellow, Orange and Portrait Pink.  All I did was put a few daubs of each colour, then I used my trusty Tim Hortons Coffee card :-) to scrape the paint here, there and everywhere.  


I used my heat gun to dry this off, although it wouldn't have taken long to dry, I wanted to get on.  Next I used a Faber Castell Big Pen Brush Magenta to write in some wording.  Also using Deep Scarlet Red to out line the flow.


Then I decided to get some stamps out.  Still using the Fabel Castell pens, I inked up (used Scarlet Red) this stamp from Studio G and stamped randomly over the cover.  I used a Painters white pen and dotted the cross points of the stamp.


I found this flourish stamp by InkaDinkaDo and inked that up (with Faber Castell Magenta), and stamped some more.  I also went around the flow and made some loops, using Faber Castell Scarlet Red and Dark Chrome Yellow.


Using a Sharpie Ultra Fine liner, I went around all the letters to make them pop.


A close up.


Finally, I got some Faber Castell Gelatos in gold and silver and went around the out edge of the cover.  Just rubbing it in with my fingers.

And there you have it my finished journal cover and "The Beginning..."



Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

7 comments:

Nana said...

Oh Karon this is absolutely stunning. Love the colors you achieved. The road is just to creative. You rocked this notebook.
Have a creative day.
Hugs Nana
♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

Sonya said...

Lovely cover to your journal...so pretty!

Lisa said...

Wow Karon, very pretty colors and elements for your cover. Great tutorial.

Charlotte C said...

Beautiful job, Karon.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Karon this is just beautiful! Love your choice of colors and the techniques you used. Thanks for sharing!

Java Jen's Creations said...

Karon, I just LOVE your journal!! So very beautiful and decorative!! Thanks for the lovely tutorial, too!!

Karon said...

Thanks so much everyone :-)