September 6, 2012

SWAN GIFT BOX TUTORIAL (WITH CUT FILES)

Hello, friends!  It's Audrey and again it's that time of the month for me to happily be here with another DT project/tutorial.   As always thanks to Sheila for having me, and to you for visiting.  My project is a swan gift box:

 
I used my swan box as a towel holder and topper to a box of soap roses -- but, of course, it can be used separately for other small gifts.  I made the cutfile for this box using the Art Noveau and George cartridges (required for cutting files), and I've provided the .cut and gypsy file downloads at the end of this post below, if you're interested.
 
With that said, I began this box by cutting out the file:
 
 
Once cut, there is the box and 2 wings:
 
 
Please excuse my lines not being straight, however I wanted to provide you a picture schematic of the box folds which are indicated by the black lines:
 
 
These pictures show how the tabs (1) and swans (2) folds will look when bone folded:
 
                                                                                1
 
                                                                                 2
 
Now it's time to glue the box together by gluing the side tabs on each end to the inside body of the swans:
 

 
Once glued, the box will look like the first picture below and the next picture will show where to place the wings (I used pop dots on my box so that the wings would have a 3-D effect):
 

 
The box is now basically done -- just needs to be decorated and filled as desired!
 
For my box, I glued the heads on each side of the box together, and the tails, to give it the look of being one swan; for texture and to give the appearance of feathers, I added dimensional paint.  I finished the effects by adding eyes and highlighting the box with Stickles. Click on the picture for a close-up of these effects: 
 
 
 
My final embellishing was to add a ribbon bow and silk roses at the bottom of the box to complement the rose soaps
 
I hope you like my project, and that you'll have as much fun as I did putting yours together!!!  Now, don't forget to grab your cut file below!  LOL!!!
 
As always, thank you so much for stopping by, hugs, and...
 
I'll be seeing you!
 
 
Project Cut Files:
 
 
http://dc592.4shared.com/download/sEM2FnO8/swan_boxx.gypsy

16 comments:

Loving My Crafts said...

This is so beautiful! I've downloaded the file but right now I can't open it. Will need investigation.

Lisa said...

WOW Audrey, what a beautiful box. I can see those at a wedding. What a great idea. Love the stickles :)

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies (please, notice the new url for my blog), under the Page 1 post on Sep. 06, 2012. Thanks again.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Audrey this is truly amazing. Love the great job you did designing this on your Gypsy! And look howbeautiful the whole box turned out! AMAZING!
Love all the detail the stickles added to the swan. This is GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing today.

CathyinMN said...

Beautiful box! I will have to try to recreate the file since I don't have George, but I do have Plantin Schoolbook. Thanks for the tutorial.

Unknown said...

OMGorgeous!!! Audrey this is really beautiful!!!

Karons Krafty Korner said...

This is fabulous Audrey - left you some blog love too:-) Thanks for sharing the cut file.

Barb Smith said...

Nicely done Audrey! Congrats.

Barb from Toronto, Canada

Cricut Couple said...

What a fantastic tutorial Audrey! Your projects are always just stunning!!!

Hrvatica said...

This box is gorgeous. Great tutorial too.

Unknown said...

Just gorgeous Audrey..as Always!!
TFS
Hugs
Adele

doodlingdebbie said...

This box is stunning! Sadly, I can't open either file. The .cut file opened up Inkscape but nothing showed up. I was hoping to convert it to a .svg file. I still loved seeing this beauty of a box and thank you for the nice tutorial and inspiration. xxx-Debbie

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

So elegant! Love the way you made the swan's body dimensional!

Audrey Frelx said...

Thank you everyone for your kind and gracious comments!!! I appreciate them all, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the project.

To "Loving my crafts" -- of you can't open the file, email me at audreyfrel@sbcglobal.net and I'll email you a direct link; otherwise, there's doesn't seem to be a problem with the 4Shared storage.

Hugs, all!

christhedolllady said...

This is a beautiful project! Not only do I have lots of ideas for this swan box, I have ideas to make other shaped boxes. Thanks so much for sharing.

Angi Barrs said...

Wowza! Audrey's project is AMAZING! I really loooove this!