June 17, 2010

Bless Our Nest - My Debut

Hi Everyone. My name is Lisa Sylvia of  Lisa's Craft Room. I am making my debut today. I was so honored and touched when Sheila asked me to be a designer for She's a Sassy Lady. Sheila, thank you so much for asking me to be part of your Team. I don't by any means consider myself a designer, but, when we use our imagination and put our creativity to work, I guess it is designing, and of course the Gypsy girl is a big part of that. :)

Since I am a scrapbooker first, I decided to do a 12 x 12 page layout. I love making cards, but haven't done a page in a while. LOL, It's funny because, I had asked Sheila why we only do once a month and she said because it is a lot of work. Well, you were right Sheila, WOW, to come up with an idea, put it in the Gypsy, design everything, figure it all out, put it on paper, then Post it all, WHEW...but, it was so much fun and I enjoyed doing it.

Well, here I go. I was inspired by this, which is hanging up in my Scraproom. I loved it when I saw it, I just thought it was so cute.



And here is my layout. This is our first home, we bought it in July, 2005. This is the side view, in the backyard.
I first started out with a frame from Stretch Your Imagination, the size is 3" x 11". Then I added branches from Home Decor, 2.81" x 1.75", the bird houses are from Stretch Your Imagination, 2.11" x 2.50", the birds are from Home Decor, 1.12" x 0.75".
On the second page, (Layer 2), my title is from Don Juan, Bless is 3.38" x 2.41", our is 2.36" x 2.41" and nest is 2.92" x 2.50". I welded each word together.
I then welded everything together, unfortunately for some reason the birds didn't weld the way I hoped they would, and I figured out it was because if you put something in mid center, it can't weld, (see, I'm still learning), so at least their tails welded and I was able to use them as a guide when I cut out the birds.

I then separated everything to cut out in the colors that I wanted, I don't know if there is an easier way to do that, but that is the only way I know for now. I used the Hide Contour feature for the frame, whis is awesome. I'm so glad we finally got that, it was well worth the wait. I guess I could have just deleted it :)
Then came putting it all together. 

 
I used my two way glue pen for the branches, and the birds, they were so dainty.
See what I meant about the birds. I made the birds blue and yellow to represent two parakeets that we had until they passed. We bought them for our son when he was 3 years old and we had Chee Chee (blue) for 13 years and Teenie (yellow) for 11 years.


Then I cut out my title using Navy Blue cardstock.

I used my white gel pen to dot the title. 

I smooched the roofs of the bird houses to give them color. I love Smooch, for those who don't know what it is, it resembles fingernail polish/paint and you just brush it on what you want to highlight and give a little shimmer. I only have Red, Green and White. I might have to invest in more colors :)

Then I added some dimensionals to the bird houses.

I used my ATG 714 on the frame, I love this gadget.

Then adhered it all to my 12 x 12 gray cardstock.


Added my picture to a piece of navy blue cardstock, to match the title. The picture is a 4" x 6". So I just eyed the mat and left a little border around each side.

Added some raffia to two of the branches, and stickles to each of the bird's tails. You can see the Smooch on the roofs.

Then cut out a 1" bird's nest from Create a Critter and added some Dazzling Diamond glitter.

 Lastly, I tied a navy blue ribbon around the page and did a little journaling.


Thank you Sheila for giving me a chance. I hope I made you proud ;) To all of my blogger follower friends, Thank you for following and for your sweet comments. It means alot to me. I hope you enjoyed my debut.

18 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Lisa this is a BEAUTIFUL page. You went from inspiration to a WONDERFUL - WONDERFUL keepsake for your family. I love the intricate detail on the birdhouses and how you made that heading jump off the page with a little work from a gel pen. I never heard of Smooch until today... you are such an enabeler! Love all the instructions, they are perfect. Thanks for sharing your talent with us today!

MrsANS said...

Wow, that turned out so great!! I absolutely love it :) You had wonderful inspiration and turned it into something perfect. Great job!! Congrats on your new designer position :)

Unknown said...

Lisa ~ what a great page! I love how you found your inspiration!! I also love your honesty about still learning...we all are aren't we? Even though the bird did not weld the way you thought, it still worked to mark your spot. I wouldn't have even tried to weld it!

Love the Smooch ~ never heard of it before. You took a very simple design and blinged it up!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

amylynne said...

Wonderful project! I love the birdhouses! You did a fab job on the layout.....thanks for sharing!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Welcome! Love your work, it is beautiful. Thank you for sharing directions too,. Happy day!

Lisa said...

Thank you all for your comments. :) I must say, I am very proud of myself. I was so nervous and anxious over this. Thank you again Sheila and everyone for welcoming me.

Deanna Mulder said...

YOur layout is so cute! Love those little bird houses. Growing up we too had two Parakeets.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

How adorable, thanks for sharing.

Misha said...

Great project, and great "play by play" instructions too. Thanks for sharing.

Becky Roper said...

Great job Lisa! Your instructions were very easy to follow. I love the inspiration for the layout. I'm looking forward to seeing more projects that you create.

Lisa said...

Thank you everyone for your sweet compliments. They mean alot. :)

papillon digital design said...

A very cute nest ah.. layout. Love it

flowerdisco said...

your project it is just so cool. i love it....glad you joined sheila and glad you shared your awesome idea with us. thanks!

Debbie said...

Wow, talk about drawing inspiration from something! Just love those cute little birdhouses. Thanks for sharing with us!

Angi Barrs said...

This is an awesome project Lisa. Love those birdhouses too :)

June said...

This is so adorable!!!! I love love love those birdhouses!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Barb Craft said...

This LO is fabulous!!! I love how you used the wall hanging as an inspiration!! The bird houses are adorable!!
Barb :)

Lisa said...

Thank you everyone for your sweet compliments. I'm glad my debut went so well ;) and Thanks again Sheila.