June 22, 2010

Sassy Challenge - Boxes - Boxes And More Boxes

They come in all sizes and shapes and we see them, admire them and are afraid to tackle them. So today we are going to learn how to make a box on our Gypsy. I designed the above box with Plantin Schoolbook.
The box above is the 2nd box I made and I still have it in my china cabinet as I really felt like I accomplished a lot creating it. I had a lot of help from a friend MyaMagoo at Design~Create~Inspire and I still chuckle when I look at this box.
Mya had made and displayed her beautiful box all decorated and her I was thrilled that I could do the box.
Here is MyaMagoo's creation look at all the bling! Now this is the first box that was designed and shown on the MB and it started us all creating.... You can understand why with this beautiful creation. Mya showed us a photo shot of her Gypsy and my obsession with making one took over. Fortunately she was on the board alot and was able to answer my questions.... Remember this was well before we were able to share a file. Now in all fairness to Mya she would give me the X-Y points and make sure your plus reads like this and your - is set here and Sheila does not think like that. I am totally visual so I will take you through simple step by step instructions so you too can easily make a beautiful box of your own. Now if you get stumped just keep trying you will get it, if I can do this anyone can! Now lets get to work.
  1. First determine what size box you want and what shape you want. We will start very simple today by making a 3.45" square box. Turn your real size button on so we can make sure it has exact dimensions
  2. We will use the Plantin Schoolbook cart.. Set your curser size to 3.45" and select a square. After you have selected your square place it in the center of your mat (use the 12x24 so you have more room to work in).
  3. Now copy the square and use the arrows to move it so that 2 of the edges are right on top of each other, they turn a yellow or green color. Then move that square in to position so it isever so slightly over lapping the center square (don't weld yet). 
  4. Tap the center square and repeat the above step over and over until you have 4 sides to your box. The photo to right shows all the components pulled apart as it makes it a little easier to visualize.
  5. After all components are i place it is time to group and weld. Start with the center and move in a circular fashion.
  6. Now we need to find a little tab to hold the box together. Look at the different options on the cart, remember each cart will offer something a little different, don't let it shake you just modify the tab to fit you needs. Your tab needs to be 3.45" hig and adjust the width so that the tab showing will be .50 as this will enable you to secure the sides making a strong base for the box. Now on Plantin I used a modified tag but the hole presented a problem becasue of the little hole in the top. Just place that hole directly on the side ot the box and it won't cut. Once your tab is chosen and made, check to make sure it fits properly, position and then copy just the tab and repeat until you have a tab for each side of the box. I usually position a tab on each side like a windmill but it was easier to position this as shown.
  7. Group and weld just like you did in step 5. Now lets test it by looking at the preview.... are all welds showing gray and all cuts lines in order. Good. May I suggest you ceck you positioning so that you know all side are even, do a test cut before your final to make sure you have everything just perfect.
  8. The lid is done in the same fashion except for the sides you need to determine how much you want for an overhang, will it be plain, decorative? You need to decide and may I suggest you keep the first box simple and graduate up in complexity as your skill grows.
  9. Okay, here goes, this time start with a square (I chose the one with the hole in the center so we would have a window) with at 3.57". This will allow for the lid to easily fit over the box. Our side we will adjust to be a 1.35" deep scallop. Just repeat the steps for the base of the box.
  10. For the tab I just used a little square and the size is a .62x.88". On the photo on the right you can see how that little tab fits and after it is cut you will score and fold and glue to the  scallop next to it., See how nicely they fit together.
This is just a shot of the lid pulled apart so you can see each individual piece. I hope this helps you see the whole picture a little better.
Now all you need to do is duplicate that center of your lid as it helps to hold the acetate in. Then make a square just large enough to adhere to the center box.
See, you can design a box it just takes a little thinking and lots of determination. Now go pick out some paper, do a test cut and then when it is perfect get the good stuff and cut that box out.
Next you need to score your lid. See above how to do, with boxes and lids of this type you really can do without score marks. After you score be sure you use the bone folder to make sure you have a nice sharp edge.
Now for the lid you use your glue tape on inside of lid, then add the acetate and the lining to hold in place. If you have to take a hair off to have a secure fit do it before you adhere to the lid.
After your acetate is secure (doesn't it look nice?) glue your tabs to the sides and you will have a beautiful lid.
Now doesn't that look beautiful? That lid is perfect for a cupcake box or Christmas ornament or any gift you want the receiver to get a little peek.
Now lets get to work on the base of the box. Again start with scoring and folding.
It looks perfect and will create a great box.
This is what your completed box should look like. Now you can decorate it any way you want.... I used fancy paper from Hobby Lobby that is just oozing with glitter so I am leaving mine as is and will use it as a gift box.
Now you too can design a simple little box and that is my challenge to you! Use my instructions and make a simple box. Don't worry about decorating unless you want to and then post your creation on this thread. I really want you to try to do this as it is sooooo very important to just understand the basics of using you gypsy to create. You will be amazed at how easy it is when you breat it down step by step. I no longer measure each piece and check all the time, I just measure what I intend to put in the box and in 15 minutes it is designed! I take forever to choose the paper, 5 minutes to cut and another 15 minutes to score fold and glue. Now won't it be nice to be able to produce a gift box when you need it?
I am providing my Sassy Gypsy Plantin Box and it is ok to use it and post it within this link as it will still help you learn and that is what this blog is all about.... sharing skills to help each other. Now go ahead and put a little box together and post it here.
I am always encouraged by your sweet - sweet words. Your comments inspire me to keep scrapping and sharing things with you.
signature

25 comments:

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Very nice project! Love the flower. Great inspiration. Happy Tuesday!

papillon digital design said...

Oh yes I do remember the pretty boxes Mya and you made! They were lovely. Great instructions

Unknown said...

Oh Sassy ~ now I see it!!! I am such a visual person that I have to literally take things apart to re-create them!! Even with a borrowed Gypsy and just a few carts, I think I can do this!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Sheila,
This turned out so cute! I'm going to have to try this. I've been saving my plastic that my carts come in for just such a project! TFS - it's beautiful.
MelissaMade

Cheryl Boglioli said...

Your directions and paper choices always ROCK, Sheila. Adorable box.

Becky Roper said...

I absolutely love this box! I'm going to try this tonight if at all possible. You made it look soooo easy. Fantastic tutorial

Lolliscraps said...

You make it look so easy! Thanks for sharing!

cricaholic said...

OH! I get to make a SASSY BOX!!! I haven't tried to make a box yet but with your details I'm gonna give it a try.. I can't wait!!!

Tracy said...

Thanks so much for posting this!!

Marty said...

TFS this I loved Myamagoo's box but never thought I could attempt it, you make it look so easy. Maybe now I will get brave.

217 Creations said...

Great instructions!!!! Plus the paper choice is fab!!!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [22 Jun 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Angi Barrs said...

Love this sassy box. I may try one this week :)

Debbie said...

Lovely box Shelia and your tutorial is great.

Misha said...

Your Boxed In Challenge on the MBs inspired me to make my first box. I've added the link to my blog post about it. I've also added a link to another box the I made to fit some tile coasters. Thanks so much for the inspiration, and all you do on the boards.

Lisa said...

WOW, WOW, WOW, I am definitely going to try this now that I see it. I am also a visual person. I don't mind directions if they are easy to follow. Mya sure did start something great. I hope all is well with her. I know she is venturing to bigger things, but, I'm sure I speak for alot of us (or all) she is very much missed. Thanks Sheila ;)

Shelia said...

Beautiful!!! Thank you so much for your great instructions. I am going to give this a try.

Barb Craft said...

Oh my word!! you are so much braver than I am... making a box from scratch?!! You have talents and patience I just don't possess!! I may however, take the file you have provided and try one of these cute little boxes!! Thsnks for the step by step directions!!
Barb :)

Domestic Mamma said...

WOW I just love you boxes, never thought to make them look so pretty, you've definately inspired me to have a go!

June said...

WOW your box is GORGEOUS!!!!!! I tried making my own box a while ago and didn't like how it came out. I don't know why I didn't think of using a tag for the tabs on the bottom - thanks for helping out with that one!!!! Off to try again!!! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas and for the inspiration!!!!

Audrey Frelx said...

Great job!!!

Hope M said...

I love this box! I just made it and it turned out fabulously! This was my first time using Design Studio (Gypsy would've been better, but.... ;-) and it went quite well! The directions were written well and for the most part easy to follow. Thank you so (so, so) much!!!!

Granny said...

This is a nice little box, great for putting my homemade muffins in. Great for little gifts.

Sentimental Scrapper said...

You make it look so easy, Sheila! I will have to try designing one on my gypsy!

Kendra-Sue and Jamie said...

This is possibly the best tutorial I've seen in a month or two. I love making boxes and have been messing with a couple of designs but this makes it so much easier than what I was doing. Thank you.