November 26, 2010

Making Ornaments With My Grandchildren

Well ladies this accidently posted a couple of weeks early, I haven't even typed in what I was going to say. Just shows you I make lots of mistakes. Please check out Cheryl's BEAUTIFUL post after this as I accidently posted on top of her.
Above you will find my beautiful grandchildren Justin on the left, Gavin and Sydney on your right. After Thanksgiving dinner was over we cleared the counter and laid some old garage towels out to prevent my counter being stained with paint and then turned the children loose.

Every year I get Ornament kits for them at Hobby Lobby and after dinner is done and before the desserts are served we make ornaments and the children just love getting ready to put their trees up during the holiday weekend. See even little 2 year old Gaving joins in. He was so serious, and wouldn't put down the brush till the other two had finished.
Justin started by making lines on his ornament and then used the various colors in between.
This is my counter that I always craft on and my daughter Jennifer joined in on the fun and painted Sydney's name on her ornaments.
I held the ornament for Gavin to paint and the paint was just flying!
Justin showing off a finished ornament.
Sydney working hard on one of hers.
Gaving finished covering his so he got to paint a wooden gingerbread man too.

Here are some of their finished ornaments. Gavin top left, Justin on the right.

Sydney on the left and Gavin on the right. We had so much fun and wanted to know what they could do next year!
Hope you enjoyed today's post. I know the children would love your encouragement and cherish your comments. Have a blessed day!
signature

14 comments:

Debbie said...

There is nothing better than pictures of quality time with family! Thanks for sharing Sheila!

Cheryl Boglioli said...

These are just lovely. I would cherish these on my tree. It looks like y'all had a great time too.

GabyCreates.com said...

How precious of a moment in time..Can't wait 'till my grandaughters arrive in the 15th.
Gavin: I really like your work on the first two, so Picasso but I like the puffy/chunky paint on the last one too.
Justin: I am having a hard time picking one, one so colorful like I usually like for Xmas, but the other so elegant with just gold tones!
Sidney: I can see all the work on the first picture and so nice that you personalied one with your name.. I know your mom/grandma will keep and pass on to you when you have your own hose!
Gaby

GabyCreates.com said...

I meant on the 15th
and house not hose, sorry
Gaby

Josie0602 said...

Loved seeing you with your grandchildren! Arent they so much fun?

papillon digital design said...

isn't this fun and so precious!

Java Jen's Creations said...

What precious memories you are making with your grandchildren! They are quite the artists!! Please tell them for me that the ornaments they have decorated and created are more valuable than solid gold ones! They should be very proud of their work! :-) Thanks for sharing this with us!

Jean said...

What a fun thing to do!! They did a great job and I know you guys had a ton of fun!!

Penny said...

Times like these are priceless for you and your grandchildren. Now you have to get them to make their own scrapbook pages with the photos. Thanks for sharing this with us. Penny

June said...

What a wonderful tradition for the children!!! They did a wonderful job and I think that all of those ornaments are just FABULOUS!!!! Thank you so much for sharing their wonderful creativity!!!

Shari said...

Your Grand children did a fine job, very original. Some are colorful and others elegant, and I am sure all will be treasured for many years to come. The ornaments I have a quetion, did you put the paint on the inside or the outside?

I love crafting with my grand children. Last year we poured glitter paint into the glass ornaments, swirrled the paint around to make sure the ornament was covered and then let the paint drain into little drink cups (5 to 10 oz size). Be sure to clean the inside with alcohol and water, let dry and then paint the inside.

Shari

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Shari, the paint is on the outside. They painted it on with paint brushes and we had a ball.

Angi Barrs said...

Oh how fun. It's so great that you are getting the kids into crafting. The kiddos are so adorable too :)

Debby said...

Sheila, what a wonderful tradition you have and your grandbabies are adorable. They will cherish these memories of crafting with their Grandma. These pics are so heart warming. Thanks for sharing!