March 4, 2011

Dallas Stampede Circle Card

Hello this is Pam from The Bug Bytes  
Thank you Sheila for having me in your blog.
Since I will be going to stampede I decided to show the circle card I made.
And better grab something to eat & drink - for you are going to see lots and lots of pictures!!

Since I am just recovering and we had to make 100's of card I first planned just for basic if my back got worse. If I could get away with something later then all good. SO here is what I came up with for basic using Photoshop Elements (PSE). If things don't work out then all I had to do was print this out and bring with me.

So here was the basic . I have included the photoshop steps in case you want to see them at my blog as they are lots of pictures

I then duplicated the images and added to letter - again using photoshop as we can align and distribute better


 Now for the project

I cut white cardstock 3 inch x 3 inch and then inked it with 2 shades of blue and then used cuttlebug swirl folder . My handy elf - my dear younger son - had fun cuttlebugging all the cards. I tell you that this guy is the next Tim Holtz in the making!!

So now I got this. Now that I had done this I was set for basic so I was set. But as I felt better having finished it I thought I would do more..



So in the front (raised swirls) I smeared diamond stickles to get the water like effect using my good ol' god given tool - fingers lol


Then at the back I just did the outer corners as the printed  paper is going to cover most of it.


Then at the back stuck the printed paper






Now comes what I want to cut which reflects what I want to represent. First my name -Padma- lotus (ja means born) and the butterfly for my blog - the bug I like (nopes cricky is not on my list) and also for my darling papillons (which by the way is my other blog for digital designs & photos). So I decided to spring load the butterfly. Wow ! what a term. I borrowed the idea from wobblers but no way was I going to make 100's of cards buying that stuff. So I made my own version. Didn't care if it wobbled or not (though it does - ;) but..). I wound 30 gs jewellery wire around momento marker - since that was handy but u can use sharpie or crayon and as the concept was water I did not want to mount it on tape. transparent doublesided tape was not strong enough and before some smarty pants says hot glue!!! I have told you before me & hot glue are not on talking terms!! So it was tacky glue. I just made a circle the shape and size of spring and then stuck that thing on - just place it gently. and add a bead of glue at the top. I did 8 at a time. I had already punched butterflies after inking using MS punch and blinged it. I just added them to the spring and moved them and allowed them to dry a bit and start on next batch of 8








Then I cut some lily's by searching in G and also some lily pads. I think lilies were from Mother's day Bouquet. I tried glimmer misting but did not like the effect as they created drop even if I held it far! While at Micheals found this pink acrylic glitter. I just added that to a disposable cup, added some water, some pearlescent acrylic paint and some drops of tacky glue and then mixed it with a brush and brushed it on. See I got to do some painting! Again another hobby and part of myself is gotten into the cards! Loved the effect



I then used McGill paper blossom tool kit to give dimension to leaf and lotus. My helper elf demonstrating as I photograph. ( A smacking kiss given to my helper. Hmm but the elf complains that is not enough . They want more nowadays . Sigh!!!- so ok - he gets some chocolates too :) )





Then I had the brilliant idea of using pipe cleaners as the center of the flower. So give it a curl and chop chop with cutter and glue dot them - 2 layers of flower alternatively stacked with pistol/stamen made of pipe cleaner at the center




Now the leaf. Ink the sides. I have used Tsukineko momento markers


Again the Mc Gill tool


Turn it over and add marker


So I arrange them and see how they look. Hmmm Something seems missing. Maybe a touch of pink on the leaves to draw the eye and make a triangle composition? Triangle, diamond (not square), cruciform and S shapes are all good composition tricks. So off to add some pink



A little better don't you think?


Maybe just a touch of bling. What about some pearls? Here is my leaf progression


Ok now - Just Right - atleast to me lol



So that's the front (or is the back?)

and the other side




So now off to do assembly line processing of 100 cards. I have finished the butterfly and the leaf and now working on lotus!! So see you again next time! Maybe I can see some of you at Dallas :). 
Thanks again Sassy for having me on your blog today.


11 comments:

Audrey Frelx said...

Wow, Pam!!! These look great! And you really put some work into them!

Hope you continue to feel better!

Stacy said...

It looks fantastic
Great job
Hugs
Stacy

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Pam your cards are GORGEOUS. Look at all the detail and the wonderful colors you chose. Love the map and photo on the back and look you even have bling on your cards. WOWSERS I can't wait to trade with you but I think I will get the nicer card in return! Thanks for sharing with us today your wonderful cards and great tutorial! Everyone needs to make their cards for sharing.

Granny said...

These cards are lovely. I like the colors and the detail in them TFS

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Fabulous!!!!! love all the details.

Dakota Bear said...

Pam did a wonderful job making her cards, they are beautiful. I saw them first on her blog.

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful. I wish I was going to Dallas with you! TFS
Sue

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look like a lot of work, just beautiful. Just a question, should the year be 2010 or 2011?

papillon digital design said...

oops thank for pointing that put to me!! It should be 2011 lol

Sandy said...

this is a wonderful project...love all the detail you show in your tut...just fantastic

GabyCreates.com said...

WOW!...I am speechless! and more embarrased than ever. I attended my first Circle Meet Up and did not know what a calling card was, so I made some on the fly at the place and it was not that pretty! YOu are sure going to impress! but I will be prepared next time!! TFS all your work!