March 26, 2011

Happy Saturday!

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday. I know I am. Beth here from thunderbirdlindybydesign. Saturday is not my usual day to post on Shesasassylady, I was due to post on Wednesday of this week, but the project I was working on Monday night ended up going into the trash. So Sheila covered for me on Weds and let me have Saturday. Thank you Sheila for helping me out. Today I wanted to share with you a project I made, inspired by the Accucut Craft website. Gasp I know, not a Cricut/Gypsy Product to be found there, or is there?? I love Accucut's dies they have, but I don't have any of their stuff, but I do have my Gypsy, so............, once again I used George, Plantin, and 2 other cartridges to create my own Shadow Box Portrait die cut.

You will need several sheets of 12x12 pattern paper that coordinates(I used DCWV Mademoiselle)
fedex envelopes or similar chipboard
Assorted embelishments, I used Basic Grey Curio chipboard adhesive backed pieces
Glue/tape runner/double sided tape(you choice)
Tim Holtz Distress ink Vintage Photo


This is the back of the picture frame, cut one from thin chipboard, I used Fed Ex envelopes. one from black cardstock(this is attached to the back to cover the ugly chipboard), and one from a piece of pattern paper for the front(Not shown yet).

 
chipboard

black cardstock


Glue all 3 piece together making a chipboard sandwich.  Black on back, chipboard in between, and Patterned Cardstock on the front.  I held it together with Tim Holtz binder clips until dry.  Make sure you glue edges and in the middle of the chipboard because you will score and fold slightly and you don't want your chipboard to pull away from either piece of cardstock(like mine did).  After the glue has dried, I scored the piece as shown in the above pic. You can also see the score lines by looking at the Gypsy Screen.

  The below screen is the cut file for the front that pops out.  You will see what I mean later in the post.


(this pic shows side already scored and folded in, and the large double scalloped piece with the bottom cut off)

Cut one from Chipboard, one from black cardstock,and one from a coordinating pattern paper that goes with the one you glued on the front of the back part of the frame.  Make a chipboard sandwich using lots of adhesive and score the sides.  You can see the lines by looking at the screen you just cut with your Gypsy.

Here it is assembled. You can see what I mean by the facing of the frame that pops out at you.


This pic is just of some addnl cuts I did of coordinating pattern paper to embelish my frame with.

And here is the finished project.  Don't forget to ink your edges of all of the pieces while you are assembling them.


The picture in the frame is a scanned copy of  my dad when he was 11 and his little brother Matthew.  Matthew passed away within a year after this pic was taken.  My dad told me he had one of the first diagnosed cases of Luekemia in Indiana, the doctors didn't know what it was.  This pic is special to my dad so I am giving him this as a small gift.

Thanks everyone for sharing their Saturday with me, and thanks Sheila for having me as a guest designer.

Beth

24 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Wow, what a great page and without your Gypsy.... that would be so hard! Thank you for your wonderful page with such sweet memories and your great tutorial.

Running Turtle said...

That is stunning!
TinaB

Bamabel said...

Well how adorable is that!

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.blogspot.com) said...

Your triptych is absolutely stunning!! I love the layers and the colors. I love the dimension and the vintage feel!

Anonymous said...

Your project is absolutely beautiful. The details, papers and picture are perfect. I wish I was advanced enough to even begin following the directions. I've had my Gypsy out of the box 2x and it just overwhelms me. If ever I was inspired to try a project this would be it. Thanks for the inspiration.

msgriff said...

WOW, now I see who God gave all my talent to!!... YOU! This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Cg

Audrey Frelx said...

I absolutely love, love, love this!!! What a wonderful job you did on it1

Vanessa said...

Absolutely beautiful! I'm sure your dad will treasure this gift.

L.B. said...

This is absolutly beautful.

Unknown said...

Just gorgeous! TFS!

papillon digital design said...

This is so beautiful Beth. What a great idea. TFS

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Beth this is beautiful. I cam back to look as I commented before my first cup of coffee. This is GORGEOUS and you made your Gypsy dance with this design. Thanks again for sharing your talent with us.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

WOW WOW WOW Beth, that is absolutely beautiful. I wish I was talented and creative with my gypsy like that. I was sad when I read about your Uncle, poor darling. It's so sad that they didn't know about the diseases back then as they do now. I'm sure your father will be so touched by this gift.

SherriC. said...

Beth this is soooooo AMAZING!!!!!!
thank you so much for sharing.....
it turned out GREAT!!!!

Java Jen's Creations said...

Simply beautiful!!!! I love everything about this project!!!

Kendra-Sue and Jamie said...

It is stunning and well worth the wait. Thank you for a lovely project.

Anonymous said...

I am pretty much here to echo all the other gals comments...
This surely is a special project, not only because it is SO beyond creative and gorgeous but because of the thoughtfulness as well. I am sure this will be something very special to him! And of course the story makes us thankful for modern medicine!
Thanks again for sharing this with us! Its just wonderful!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

This is just beautiful.. and I am sure your dad is going to love it. Thank you for sharing it with us. What a special gift.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I would love to have the measurements of the pieces. Thanks again for sharing your beautiful project.

Beth said...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. I really appreciate them. As soon as I tweek the file, I will post it on my blog.

Gramjak said...

This is absolutely what I need for a dear friend of mine who is in a nursing home -- her 90th birthday is coing up and I'd love to make this for her. I'll be looking for the gypsy file on your blog.

Thanks so much for creating and sharing! Beautiful!

mfc.melissamade2 said...

OH WOW - this is amazing!!!! So super gorgeous!
hugs,
M

GabyCreates.com said...

Melissa bit me to the
OH WOW expression!!!...speechless after that!
Gorgeous!!