March 28, 2011

A Perfect Place for Post It's!

Happy Monday everyone! I hope you are having a marvelous day so far! Aymee Gandy from 'A Scraphappy Southernbelle' here to share a crafty project with you. I apologize for starting today's post a little late. I was experiencing some problems with blogger and uploading pix to my post. I was about ready to pull my hair out, but I finally got it to work. Before I start, let me back up a bit and tell you the inspiration for this project. My Mom is a 5th grade teacher and is a big scrapper like me. Well, she always likes to do nice little things for her fellow educators. This week they are going through their yearly testing with the students and she wanted to do a little something for them. So I came up with this simple take on 'Post It' note holders in treat bags. These 'Post It' note holders hold 2 of the 'Post It' note pads. They come in a pack of 6 for a little over $5 at Wal Mart, so you can make 3 of these treat bags out of one pack. These were so simple and fast to do! Here is what they look like once finished:
To begin, I chose a double sided piece of patterned paper. I love the K&Company paper for this. I cut the paper to 10 1/2" x 3 1/2".
Next, you will want to score at the 3 1/2", 4 1/4", 7 3/4", and 8 1/2" marks as shown below. This is the perfect time to pull out those Scor-Pal's and put them to good use. But if you are like me and are not fortunate enough to own one of these baby's (yet...LOL), you can use a bone folder and the groove in your paper trimmer. It worked just as well for me.
Once scored, your paper should fold up like this. As you can see, it creates a nice little compartment for your 'Post It' notes to fit into.
After some basic matting and embellishing, I stacked 2 of the note pads on top of each other for each one. To do this, I took the backing off of the top one and aligned it with the bottom one and pressed down. They stuck together quite well. I love the 'Post It' brand for these because they are 'super sticky' and stick well to one another. I then used some craft glue to glue these onto the inside (in the middle) of my compartment.
I chose to use some velcro fasteners on the flap of each of my note holders to keep them closed when not in use. I chose the 'Scotch' brand for this. They are super strong and I know will hold up well. I think magnets would work well here as well. Or you may skip this step if you prefer.
I chose to put the last initial of each of the recipients on these to personalize them. I chose a font from the Cricut 'Storybook' cartridge. This letter is on the 'shorty holes' creative feature. I also blinged it up a tad by adding in pearls and/or rhinestones. I put an initial on the back of the note holder as well as on the inside.
Once opened, your note holder should look something like this. As you can see, the double sided paper is great for this. That way you have coordinating patterns and your project looks colorful on the outside and on the inside.
My Mom and I were able to complete 14 of these for her fellow educators. I created 7. Once we had finished each of these, we decided to put them into little clear, plastic treat baggies that we purchased at JoAnn. These baggies were 4" x 9" and we cut them down to 7" for our purposes. We placed the note holders inside of the baggies and then created a coordinating top. For the top, we cut a square parenthesis shape using our SCAL software at a 5". We scored this shape in the middle and folded it in half to create the topper. We then stapled this to the top of our bag (as seen below). They really helped to finish off the project and we were so pleased with the way these turned out. I hope everyone will like them and get a lot of use out of them. Here are the 7 I created:
I also wanted to show what we did on the back of these. On the tops of the baggies, we glued our business card to the back. This was Mom's idea and I just love it! My Mom and I do little crafty things on the side for a little extra $ and I thought this was a great way to get more people to visit our blog. My Mom is a crafty one, I tell ya! LOL. We always work great together because she thinks of stuff I never would and vice versa.
I hope you have enjoyed this project today and that you will give it a try! I promise you these are so easy, fast, and fun! And affordable! They make great gifts or how about making one for your own home? I know I am contemplating doing one for my scrappy desk and a masculine one for my hubby. :)

Have a fabulous week and Happy Scrappin'!!!

12 comments:

Debbie said...

These are adorable!!! Love all the variety!!!!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

These are just adorable and great for everyone! What a wonderful little gift they will make to each of those ladies. Thank your your instructions as I am sure many will like to try this for the special people in their lives. And thanks for being with us today.

Bunnyfreak said...

Love all the details. Thanks for the instructions.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

So cute.

Beth said...

Look at all of the different styles, what great gifts. I love the fastner idea. TFS

Audrey Frelx said...

They are all just super cute!

Unknown said...

Super super cute!! Thanks for including the details in your tutorial!! I am going to make some for my son's preschool teachers!!!!

Java Jen's Creations said...

These are all super amazing!! What a great little gift! Love it!! I love K and Co. paper too - their double-sided paper is great for these kind of projects! Thanks for the great tutorial too!!

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Wow these are so adorable!! I love the little fasteners!!! Great little details too - thanks for the tutorial!
hugs,
M

Gramjak said...

Great details and a super fun and useful project! Thanks for sharing!

GabyCreates.com said...

Great idea for a gift to my school's secretaries! TFS

Debby said...

I can't believe I actually got this to work the first time around. I used a mgnet and hidit under a top layers. Thanks for all the help. I so not own a cricut-250 points short to get one and also so not own a wcorpal--that's next on my list. I think I will make a few more for Christmas stockings.

Thanks, Baxter/Debby