March 2, 2011

'It's A Dog's Life' Layout


Good morning Sassy Lady friends, I hope your week is going well so far! This is Kate from Sassy and Scrappy and I'm so happy to be back this month to share my project with you. My layout is pretty straight forward, but I'm happy with the results. I've been struggling with a stomach bug the last few days, so I apologize for the simplicity of this post.

I always start my layouts by picking my pictures and then the paper. I don't know why, perhaps the fever was to blame, but even though all these pictures are on the beach I decided not to do a beach themed layout. Is that strange? I'm also blaming the fact that I couldn't sew a straight line to save my life on my tired, sick eyes, LOL! I'll use any excuse I can get.


Here is the cardstock I used. The pattern paper if from the DCWV 'Pet Stack'.

Here's a little tip that I want to share with you...I do a lot of welding on my Gypsy, but it's very difficult to weld shadows and have them match up. So what I do now, is cut the shadow layers in separate pieces and glue them on individually to the back of my welded letters. This gives me more control, and I think it looks better too.

In this picture you can see how some of the shadowed letters overlap on the back. Of course from the front you'd never know.

Here are my die cuts. I decided to leave them very simple so I cut them out in black, to match my sweet dog, and added some twine. I just ordered the sampler pack from The Twinery and let me just say, I'm loving it! And it can't be considered cheating on Papertrey Ink because they don't sell these colors, LOL.

Looking separately at the two pages you can see where all the elements come together. Of course I added a couple of buttons and some more twine.

The little paw print next to my title is a stamp. I used my VersaMark and black embossing powder to add another textural element to the page. I did some stitching around the two brown layers and to the base blue layers as well. It's difficult to see because I used white thread, but since it's all over the place anyway, it's okay with me.


Details:
  • Pattern Paper-DCWV 'Pet Stack
  • Cardstock-Papertrey Ink, Bazzil
  • Title-'It's A Life' Birthday Bash Cricut Cartridge cut at 1.25-inches and 'DOGS' Plantin Schoolbook cut at 1.5-inches
  • Die Cuts-boy with dog A Child's Year cut at 2.75-inches and dogs from Nate's ABC's cut at 2.75-inches and 3-inches
  • Circles-George and Basic Shapes cut at 3.75, 4, 5.75 and 6-inches
  • Clip-QuicKutz die
  • Buttons-StampinUp!
  • Twine-The Twinery, colors charcoal and lemondrop
  • Black Sakura Gelly Roll Pen
Thank you Sheila for allowing me to share my projects here and thanks to all of you for looking. I appreciate your patience with me this month and I'll do my best to 'WOW' you next time! As always, I appreciate your comments and support.

10 comments:

Stacy said...

I love the layout, hope ya feel better soon
Hugs
Stacy

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Kate this is an adorable layout. I love the twine around the dogs for collars.... perfect touch. Colors are fab for these pages. Thanks for sharing this fabulous layout with us today.

Anonymous said...

All around REALLY cute! I like all the photos you've added and the twine, title and the rest of the cuts...super sweet pages!!!

mfc.melissamade2 said...

This is beautiful! I love these colors together and the bakers twine is just adorable!!! Love the cute dog cuts!!! Great Layout!
Hugs,
M

Cathy said...

This is a nice layout, pics, colors look well together. thanks for sharing.
Cathy
mexicopetshop@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful layout. The colors are great and I really like the twine used on the dogs. TFS

Granny said...

What a cute little layout this is. TFS

Audrey Frelx said...

Kate, what a great layout!!! And, I happen to think I understand why you choose the pictures before doing the layouts! Everything in the background is centered around your pictures so it just makes sense to me.

You did a fantastic job!

LesleyfromWI said...

Love this LO and the photos are wonderful!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Love it!!!!!!!