March 3, 2011

"HERE, THERE, ANYWHERE" BUILT-IN, ONE PIECE ENVELOPE CARD

Hello and happy Thursday!!!  Thank you all for joining me, Audrey, again for my DT project here on Sheila's wonderful blog today.

This is not the project I'd intended; however, I couldn't complete the project I've had for a week now.  My project today is interesting though, considering I had absolutely no idea where I was going with it, lol!  I got excited and thought I was back on a roll when I had the cut.file completed and then the construction of this project down; however, when it came to how to embellish it, my creative thoughts took the same flying leap out the window as my thoughts did for the other project I've yet to complete!  I kept telling myself something Sheila often says and which she refers to as "KISS"... Keep It Simple Silly!  That's definitely what I've done today!  I found a bunch of leftovee items I hadn't used on previous projects and/or there wasn't enough for what I needed at the time, and I altered them to suit this project.  Because I ran out of time to plan, I think my leftovers look pretty decent as embellishments!  But it's the card itself that's the project today!


So, what's unique about this card?  It has a built-in envelope that can be placed on any side of the card you'd like depending on how you fold it.  Yes, built in -- meaning only 1 sheet of cardstock and one cut!!!  The envie can be on the inside right or left, or the front or back of the card; it's totally up to you!  And, what do you place in the envelope?  That's totally up to you too -- money, a tag, whatever fits! 

I decided I wanted my envie on the inside right of the card and I'm going to show you how I folded it to get it there, and how I  made this card.  I'll also show you how to fold it to place the envie on the front, back, and inside left.  So let's get started.  Materials needed for the card:

1 - 12" x 12" sheet of desired cardstock (that's it and only 1 cut)

Begin by cutting out the cut.file template:


For your envelope to be on the inside right or on the front of the card, align your template on a table as shown below:

Note:  You must fold in a 1/2 " tab at the bottom of the bottom panel on the left of the card for the envelope closure; unfortunately, I forgot to allow tick marks for this fold on the template.

Now bone-fold the tabs and card panels (and the 1/2" tab on the bottom right side panel at the bottom):


Add glue to the top and bottom tabs on the right panel (shown above), fold the panel over to below the tab on the left side panel (which is the cover tab to the envelope) and bone-fold envelope in place:


After you've glued down the envelope beneath the flap, turn the card around to look like this:


Now, here's the fun part!  When you fold the remaining left panel over the top of the envelope, you have a card with an envelope on the inside right.  However, if you fold the left panel to the back (behind the envelope) you have a card with the envelope on the front.  Just look at the card example above and imagine that left panel being folded over or under!  How fun is that?!!!

To get the envelope on the inside left or on the back of the card, align your template to look like this:

Now follow the same folding and gluing steps as described above; however, the remaining panel will now be on the right side instead of the left side.  It will look like this:



Now if you  fold the right panel over the envelope, you'll have a card with an envelope on the inside left of the card; fold the panel back and beneath the envelope, you'll have a card with the envelope on the back of the card.  Pretty cool, huh?

Well, here's my card with the envelope on the inside right:


To hold my envelope closed, I've attached a small 2-piece magnet:


What's in my envelope?  Well, nothing right now!  I'll figure that out later!  LOL!

Now go off, make this card, and decorate it any way you'd like.  You can even use leftovers for embellies like I did, and please let me see what ideas you've come up with for this card!!!  I'd love to see how you've designed yours!  You can really play with this card!  You can remove the tab from the envelope and make it a pocket -- experiment with it!

I have the cut.file (George and Storybook carts) available today on my blog.  Click on my name at the top of this tutorial and it's a direct link to my blog page.  You'll find the file at the very bottom -- at the end -- of my blog post.

I would have liked to -- but as it is now past 2 a.m. in the morning and I 'm still completing this post --I won't have time to do it now but, if anyone doesn't know how and would like me to convert this into a Gypsy file, please let me know.  I'll also provide a PDF file for those of you that may not have a Cricut.  However, unless you request it, I probably won't get around to doing it soon.

Thanks so much for stopping by, I appreciate it, and I'll see you next month!

10 comments:

Stacy said...

Audrey,
Another great project.
Job well done!
Hugs
Stacy

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Audrey this is a wonderful card and how unique! I love it and I must say your KISS ideas are a lot more complex than mine! LOVE IT and thanks for the great tutorial!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

wow.... love it! Thanks for sharing all the steps.

Anonymous said...

Really? What a neat idea!!!!!! Really super cool!!!!

Angi Barrs said...

Audrey is so crafty clever. Love her fab ideas. Will have to try this one for sure. :)

Bamabel said...

This is awesome! I love it! TFS with us! ;)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful little card/envelope! TFS

Audrey Frelx said...

Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment!!!

And, Sheila, it really isn't difficult at all; once you cut out the template and fold the tabs the card comes together on it's own. All you really have to do is turn the flap to position the envie where you want it. Each side of the template once folded gives you 2 diffent options for where the envie will be. It so easy!

Hugs to you all!

Cathy said...

how cute.
cathy
mexicopetshop@hotmail.com

Dakota Bear said...

A very clever idea to consider trying sometime.