March 7, 2011

Then and Now Layout

Hi, this is Lori from ScrappinMyStressAway and I am Sassy's Guest Designer today. Today I am demonstrating the process I go through when designing a layout from a sketch. I typically don't use sketches, I start with photos and go from there. Every now and then I find a sketch that I want to follow and this is one of those times! I also mainly scrap 2 pages together, so this sketch really appealed to me!

I found this paper pad at Michaels. It is 2-sided paper (my favorite kind of paper right now).

Here is the front and back of the paper I used in my layout.

I re-created the sketch on my gypsy on a 12 x 24 mat. I found the scallop tags from Storytime, but there are similar shapes on Gypsy Wandering.

I copied the tags and hearts onto Layer 2 and arranged them on my mat for cutting.



Here are my cuts!
Next, I opened Layer 3 and put the flowers (with the centers hidden) and M&L. I could not find paper that was the color I wanted for the flowers, so I ended up not cutting them out.

I used these instead.

The tag looked a little plain, so I took a strip of paper that matched the layout and added it to the tag.

I took my negative piece and layed it over the tag (I taped the tag to the back of the paper). I ran the letters through my 1" Xyron and stuck them on.
I carefully peeled away the negative piece...
and my letters are perfectly spaced and centered!
Next, I adhered the rectangles to the paper and laid everything else on top. I walked away and came back later. I find this really helps me sometimes!

It was missing something so I got out my inks!

I dug out my ancient Stampin Up! Eggplant Envy and my go-to Tim Holtz Vintage Photo and inked the paper flowers.

Much better!

I inked some lace...

and weaved some light blue ribbon through it and added it to my layout.

I added some light blue buttons to the center of the flowers.
I inked the tags and hearts with Vintage Photo. I added some journaling around the picture.

I changed the hearts and flowers a bit from the sketch.
I added a flower and some hearts to this page to help tie the embellishments together.

Here is the final layout. The original sketch I saw showed this as a wedding page. I really liked the couple's initials in the smaller tag and I knew I had to make something with it!

Thanks Sheila for having me on your blog today!! It is always an honor to be here!!



9 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey I know you! Fancy seeing you over here! :)

I love this Lori and I like how you showed your sketch plan on your Gypsy!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to compare the past and present! Love the colors and layout and you have some great crafting tips to share! TFS!

Cathy said...

What a good idea for a layout, then and now. Thanks for the idea. I am putting it on my list of things I want to do...I am going to be busy for years, he he.
cathy
mexicopetshop2hotmail.com

Barb Craft said...

Lori...thanks for sharing your tips with us! I really do need to do a better job of planning my LOs out with the gypsy! I love your LO!
barb :)

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Lori I just love this layout! W?hat a wonderful idea and your directions are just perfect. Thanks for sharing you and hubby with us today... it was a real treat.

gardener said...

Clever ideas. Thanks for the tips. I have that cardstock and love it. Nice job.

papillon digital design said...

what a beautiful layout!

Kate said...

Fantastic layout! Thanks for sharing your layout process with us. I really like the addition of the flowers.

Sandi Clarkson said...

Wonderful job, Lori. I am always amazed at how some of us plan and others of us just jump in with both feet. Very romantic 2 pager!