May 19, 2010

"Three SASSY Ladies"

Hello all, it's Becky Roper here from Journey To Creativity. WOW, it's been a busy few weeks for me but hopefully things are winding down so I can get back to my craft room. My inspiration for today's post came from a sales ad I recently received via e-mail from Kirkland's, a Photo Holder.

They are really quite simple to make. I started with Sculpey III Oven-Bake Clay from Hobby Lobby. It looked like this before I started.

Since I had never worked with clay before I wasn't sure how to shape it. I decided to slice it into three pieces. I took 1/2 of the block and kneaded it into one large piece. I sliced the other half into two pieces and left them as they were. Polk a hole in the clay using 16 gauge aluminum wire. Bake in the oven on 130 degrees for 30 minutes.

While the clay is baking I shaped the wire. I tried several different gauges and found that I like the 16 gauge best. The wire can be found in the jewelry section at Hobby Lobby. I started the circles by wrapping the end of the wire around my finger.

Continue wrapping the wire using your fingers to slowly shape the wire into circles.

By the time I finished shaping up my 3 wires, the clay was ready to come out of the oven. After the clay cooled I inserted my wire into each clay piece.

Now to the fun part. Using the Forever Young cartridge I cut 3 different ladies out. Since I haven't mastered cutting chipboard yet, I cut 5 each and layered them to be the same thickness as chipboard. I then used scrap paper to cut the clothes, umbrella, flower and hat. After adhering everything together I added glossy accents head to toe.
Then I hot glued the Ladies to the wire statues for three very Sassy Ladies.

Thanks for stopping by today. Please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts on this project and how you will be altering this idea to make it your own. Also, I would love for you to visit my blog and become a follower. Thanks Sheila for allowing me to showcase my ideas on your blog, you are the greatest!
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

29 comments:

Nikki P said...

HI Becky,
These girls look fantastic, well done.

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Fabulous idea! They are adorable. Thank you for sharing. Happy Wednesday!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a great idea and SASSY to boot! These are adorable! and I love your instructions. My favorite one is the one on the far right!!! Thanks for sharing your talent.

Anonymous said...

These are too cool. Thanks for sharing - they would make great gifts with a photo tucked in!

Kim F

Barb Craft said...

These are fabulous and fun!! What more can you ask for?!! They will make a great accent in any room!!! Thanks for showing us how you made them!!
Barb :)

Unknown said...

Wow Becky ~ these are adorable!!

Lisa said...

Those are awesome. WOW Great Job. I love them all.

magicwanda said...

O-M-G
I love this idea.....
You did a great job!
Wanda:-D

Magoo said...

WICKED COOL!!

FABULOUSLY SASSY PROJECT!!!!!! TOTALLY ROCKS!

shari said...

Your 3 sassy ladies are so cute!!! What a great idea. Shari (cricutrookie)

Sharon said...

What an awesome idea!! They are just wonderful!!! :)

~BridgetL~ said...

this would be an awesome gift to give to a friend. FABULOUS :)

mfc.melissamade2 said...

These are SO cute!!! Love them! What a great idea to use clay as the stand!

mr. pineapple man said...

how beautiful!

cricaholic said...

VERY SASSY!!! LOVE the CREATIVITY!!!! FANTASTIC!!!!! TFS

scrappinlil said...

What an awesome idea...I love them. Might have to give it a try. TFS

Angi Barrs said...

I'm in Kirkland's all the time. Now I can make my own. Love the Forever Young cart. This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Audrey Frelx said...

I LUUUUUVVVVVV this!!! Great job!

flowerdisco said...

this is a really super clever idea, TFS!
I have some grads small giveaway for some of my son's friends and this is great TFS!

217 Creations said...

What a great idea!!!!

Java Jen's Creations said...

So, so cute!!! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful creations!!

myself said...

Love it! I think I'll alter it using "From My Kitchen" and using it as a recipe card holder with a favorite recipe as gifts. Thanks so much for the idea!

amylynne said...

How adorable!! I love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing.....will have to give this a try!

papillon digital design said...

Oh my! You have opened the door to a new creation I can put my cricut dear! I want photo frames and now thanks to you I can make lots of these. Yipeeyeeee!!

Debbie said...

Super cute and so creative!

Sentimental Scrapper said...

How fun!

Amy C said...

These are absolutely fabulous!! I love the gloss they have and now I really, really, really, want this cart. Thanks for sharing with us!!

Jess (aka Sparksgal) said...

These are awesome! Love this idea...hope you don't mind if I scraplift this idea.

Cheryl Boglioli said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea. You are so clever. What great gifts these would make for showers and holidays. Brilliant. I love the ladies too and all their sparkly sass.