December 6, 2010

Laser Cut Christmas Tree Layout

Hello again, I am Lori Apgar from ScrappinMyStressAway.  It is always an honor to be on Sassy's blog ~ gives me an opportunity to be a little Sassy myself!!

My project today was modeled after some of the many laser cut designs I saw at CKC in Kansas City in October.  I bought some of the pages that I could not duplicate.  I took the idea home with me and came up with some of my own pages.

I made a couple of Bowling and Baseball layouts last year that were similar, but the cutouts were not a good size for my photos.  I took my original design and tweaked it.



Here is my Gypsy with my basic frame design. I open this file, create a new page then hit "save as" and name my file. I still have my original file so I can re-use this basic design over and over.

To make this design, I started with a rectangle from George (you could use any square or rectangle). I tap the Aspect Ratio Link (the chain between the words Width and Height) so it is no longer yellow. This allows you to choose the exact width and height of your shape.

I made my rectangle 0.62 x 11.53. I copied it three times (one at a time) and positioned them around the mat right on the 1/4 inch border. You will need to rotate two of them (or rotate one and then copy that one) from the Advanced Menu by selecting the button with the counter clockwise arrow and moving it to 90. Group and Weld. I also save the project at this point so you can come back to this point if things don't go as planned (learned the hard way myself!).

To outline the 4x6 opening for your photos, I made two rectangles 0.37 x 6.5 and one rectangles 0.37 x 4.5.

The XY axis information is directly above the Width and Height buttons. The top vertical rectangle is positioned at 6.63x 6.98y. The bottom vertical rectangle is positioned at 4.65x 0.64y. The horizontal rectangle is positioned at 0.37x 6.5y. Group and Weld and Save ~ my file name is "lo.frame".

Exit the file and open it back up.

 

I grabbed a Christmas Tree from Paper Doll Dress Up and stretched it to 6.19w x 9.01h. I added the star from George. Group and Weld.

After you test cut and /or cut ~ you will want to SAVE AS ~ my file name is lo.frame.xmas.tree. This will keep your original file so you can re-use the basic design.

 


I cut out the tree page and decorated the tree with Stickles.

 

I used the basic design here to make a coordinating page. I opened up the original file and flipped it. I added "Christmas 2010" and the light bulbs. The font is Hannah Montana and the light bulbs are from Christmas Cheer. My file name is lo.frame.xmas.2.
 
Here is my Laser Cut Tree Layout once again. I can't wait to stick some photos in the slots this year!

A special Sassy Thanks for letting me Guest Design!!!



Lori

13 comments:

GabyCreates.com said...

Wow Lori, Thanks for this tutorial!!!
I have never seen these laser pages in person, but I will have to try and let you know how I do! Thanks again! Gaby

Jeannie said...

That is so cool! I really like the classy look. Thanks for sharing a great idea!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Lori these are great pages, what a wonderful spread it will makke in your scrapbook this year! Love it. Thanks for sharing with us today.

Barb Craft said...

Lori... I love the clean lines on these LOs and I really like the lights on the second one! Thanks for sharing a new idea with us!
Barb :)

papillon digital design said...

It's a great page! I love the ornaments/lights and the title page - the way you have welded and staggered it! Great job!!

Sentimental Scrapper said...

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

adorable! Thanks for sharing.

Java Jen's Creations said...

Wow! This is impressive!! You inspire me to try this on my own!! Thanks so much for sharing here today!!

Shari said...

WOW, that is great, so many ideas bouncing around in my head right now. Thanks!!
Shari Y

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Gorgeous design Lori!! Thanks for sharing!
hugs,
Melissa

Bamabel said...

Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

love it all !!!!

flowerdisco said...

wow lori...this is a very nice technique. Tfs! and your layout came out beautiful.