December 27, 2010

A New Year's Treat

Happy Monday everyone! Aymee Gandy from A Scraphappy Southernbelle here to share a easy project I created for my family/friends for New Year's. First of all, I would just like to say that I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas with your family! I was planning on spending the holidays alone with just my husband at home. We live about 12 hours away from our family in Alabama and he just could not get off work. Well, the next thing I knew, Brandon (that's the hubby) calls me up and lets me know we are flying out of Baltimore to see our family for Christmas. We left on Christmas Eve and flew back on Christmas day. So it was a super short trip, but it was so nice to spend our holiday with our family. We even got a white Christmas, which is so rare in Alabama. We had a grand time!

Anyways, let's get back to scrappin'! I created this treat box using my Gypsy and the following Cricut cartridges:
1. Celebrate with Flourish
2. Tags, Bags, Boxes, & More

Inside each box, I have placed a packet of gourmet cocoa/coffee drink mix. This could easily be re-created with any type of cocoa, tea, or drink of your choice. You could even use things like fruit snacks, oatmeal, or any packaged food depending on who is receiving this gift.

Here is a picture of what I would like to show you in this quick tutorial:
First, after measuring my drink packets, I sat down and designed the project using my Cricut Gypsy. I chose the box from 'Tags, Bags, Boxes, and More.' The box already had a pre-cut window. Next, I welded a New Years Hat/Clock combo from 'Celebrate with Flourish.' Also, I knew I wanted to add a pocket to the back of the box so that I could slide a gift tag down inside. Luckily, I was able to design the box and the pocket for the tag all on 1-12x12" mat....this way I could cut the entire base of my project with one sheet of cardstock. I love that because many times I find I only have 1 piece of a certain sheet of cardstock. Here is what it looks like once the cut is made:
Next, I needed to score the lines for folding my box. Unfortunately, I do not have a fancy scoring tool, so I used my bone folder and the groove in my trimmer to score my lines. After scoring, I used my bone folder again to make smooth folds.
Now it was time to adhere my folds together to make the box. For my project, I turned to my favorite adhesive: Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive. It works great! It dries super fast and I know it will provide the hold I need for this project.
Here is what it should look like when you have your box folded and are ready to slide in your packet of choice. I just love these gourmet coffee/drink mixes! They are divine! I became addicted to these when my family owned a gourmet coffee shop. It is an addiction that has stuck with me and I believe I am guilty of addicting a few others too....LOL.
As I mentioned before, I wanted to add a pocket to the back of the box to slide a gift tag down in. Here is a visual of the back of the box for you.
Again, I scored, folded, and adhered my pocket together....
Then I glued this onto the back of the box.
Voila'! My finished project! I added some Stickles glitter glue for some added bling. I also brought in some pearls. This paper is from My Mind's Eye.
Isn't this cut from 'Celebrate with Flourish' the best for New Years?! I also used the 'Happy New Year' cut from the same cartridge for my tags.
Here are 2 more boxes I made to send out:

I hope this project has inspired you today! These really were so easy and quick to pull together! I hope my family/friends will like them!

Have a fabulous day! Happy Scrappin'! And Happy New Year!!!

10 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Aymee, these gift boxes are just wonderful and perfect for letting that special some one know that you care! Love how you welded the hat and clock to the box and made it your own.... that's why I just love my Gypsy!
So happy to hear you made it home for Christmas to be with your family! Thanks for being with us today and sharing this special project!

Marilyn said...

Very nice box. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Granny said...

Very nice box, I like how you attached the hat and clock to it. TFS

Janice said...

I love this project! The idea is great, but the picture on the drink pack really adds a pop too. I love how you worked with that and used the project to bring it all together!

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous! Nice gift idea too!! Thanks for sharing your project with us!!

So glad you got to fly to your family for Christmas!!!

Audrey Frelx said...

Thanks, Aymee!!! Love-love this box!!!

Dana said...

Love the boxes. Glad you got to spend Christmas with your family...Thanks for sharing.

http://iwycd.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Green said...

Love that you give a great tutorial! THanks!

Unknown said...

These are adorable! TFS!!!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Oh this is just so adorable.. thanks for sharing.