December 17, 2010

Sweet Memories

Hi Sassy Girls!  This is Elizabeth from 217 Creations.  Thanks Sheila for having me over to play! I am usually showing altered art or cards but I continue to try to to do 12x12 layouts.  The trouble I have is that I take tons of pictures and I like to journal details. So as I was laying out the Gypsy file for this project, I decided to try some "new" techniques. 
So the first thing I did was make the snowflake lacepaper for my layout.  I made this file using Martha Stewart Seasonal Cake Art.
 This is going to be my base paper to back the snowflake paper.
Then I adhered the snowflake paper to the base paper using Permanent Crafter's Companion (red can).
The next step was to cut the photo mats.  I chose to use a card from Christmas Cheer.  I unlocked the aspect ratio (yellow chainlink) on height and width to make this more square than rectangle (5.94 inches x 3.94 inches).  I cut the cards from double sided Coredinations cardstock.  So when I fold the card, I get this nice deeper green trim than the rest of the card. I also cut a tag/charm from a very light pink textured cardstock (2.32 inches x 2.53 inches).
  I then took Crushed Olive Distress Ink and inked the edges of the card.  I used Worn Lipstick Distress Ink to ink the sides of the tag.  
 Then on the end of tag, I tied some silver tinsel ribbon that I bought at Michaels. I used my ATG gun to tape down the sides on the card to make a pocket.  Then I slid the tag in, hiding my journaling space (I cannot write straight to save my life).
Next I cut the phrase "Sweet Memories" from Winter Frolic at 2.62 inches (real size off).  I cut the base and the shadow.  This cartridge has a whole layer of phrases, plus borders!
I then took my 5x7 Cuttlebug Folders and ran the phrase and the background through 2 different folders. The shadow was embossed with the large dot folder.
The base was embossed with one of the folders from the Romance collection.
Then I used Crushed Olive and Worn Lipstick to ink and bring out the embossing.
Then I laid all pieces down and adhered them to the lacepaper.
Here is a close up of the tag holder.
 I am slowly gaining confidence in my ability to do a layout. I love that this layout can hold a lot of journaling and room for 5 pictures.  I am going to use our family pictures we take this weekend during Gingerbread House decorating to fill it up! I am sure once I get done taking this pics, this will become a double layout!
If you'd like the free files for download, please visit my personal blog 217Creations.  As always, we'd love for you to follow us here at She's a Sassy Lady and on my personal blog 217Creations.

9 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a beautiful layout. I love all the tags for journaling and that this page will hold so many photos. Perfect for holding all the details of the day. Thanks for sharing with us today.

Lisa said...

Beautiful layout, love how you did the snowflake lace paper and the tags. I can definitely see that being a two pager.

CathyinMN said...

I really like your layout. I'll have to try to remember to make hidden tags for journaling on my layouts so I can have more room for photos. Thanks for sharing this beautiful layout with us.

Granny said...

I like your layout and all the room you have for photos and journaling. TFS

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!!! I love your lace snowflake paper!!! I also love the hidden journaling spots.

Barb Craft said...

Beautiful LO! I love the way you included so many tags for journaling... something I really do need to do more of!
Barb :)

Java Jen's Creations said...

Love, love, love this layout!!! Love those hidden journaling tags! I am going to use that idea!! Thanks for always inspiring me to reach new heights in my creativity!!

imafarmgirl said...

I can't wait to try this with a new technique of inking the embossed part! Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

Bamabel said...

This is just beautiful!