September 6, 2010

A Sassy Apple A Day!


Hi!  I am Lori from Scrappinmystressaway and I am honored to be here on Sassy's blog once again!  My Gypsy is back and has been working overtime!

You know what they say....an apple a day keeps the doctor away!! Well, this apple is just too cute. I have seen several projects lately using pages of books and I couldn't resist. Since I used the actual pages from a book (not copies) I did not want to include this apple in a layout with photos. I decided to make a card for my son's preschool teacher.



I used the apple from create a critter. I made the largest apple 3.47 inches tall and the others 3.24, 3.0, 2.76 and 2.53 inches tall. I cut out the largest apple in green and red.

I bought a Thesaurus from Wal-Mart for $1.00 for the smaller apples.  I lined up my apples so they would cut out on the words as much as I could.
I set my Speed at 3, Pressure at 4 and Blade at 5 (I normally keep my blade at 6 all the time except when cutting vinyl). I also tried to line up the apples where the words on the page were. 

The heights of the smaller apples are: 2.29, 2.06, 1.82, 1.59, 1.51, 1.35 and 1.20 inches.


I cut off all of the red stems and book page stems. I glued the largest red apple onto the green apple.




I used my Fantastix and brown ink to ink all of the edges.



For the red apples, I used my Tombow adhesive to glue a strip down the middle of each apple.



I bent the edges a bit so the apple had some dimension.


Here are the 5 layered apples.



For the remaining apples, I put adhesive on the edges. I did not want adheisve in the center.
Here are the layers all together.



Before I attached the inner apples, I sewed them together. Had I put adhesive in the center it would have gunked up my sewing machine needle.



Finally I glued the inner apples to the outer apples.



I used watermelon seeds from Doodlecharms for the apple seeds. I used Hide Contour to erase the watermelon shape.



Then I rotated the image and put it on the smallest apple. Then I adjusted the size. I cut out two sets of seeds.



Now the rest of the card! I used Gaffer Tape from 7 Gypsies that I have had forever and have never used! I cut a square of brown star paper from Creative Memories (it has the same design with blue stars on the reverse side). I cut out "thank you" in yellow from Nursery Rhyme. I tied a bit of jute cord to the stem of the apple.






And here it is again! I just love this layered apple look and will be using this one again! I hope you like it!

13 comments:

Georgiana said...

This is a wonderful card and thank you for the magnigficent instructions. I sure do like the step by step with pictures. I bet you can layer anything this way.

Thanks again,
Georgiana : )

Celeste B. said...

I love it; it's just too cute! :)

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Adorable card! Thanks for sharing.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a great card, I know the teacher will appreciate your kindness. Great tutorial, so easy to follow. TFS with us.

Granny said...

This is really cute, I like the dimension it gives with all the layers.

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Holy smokes what an adorable card! I love all that layering! It makes a GREAT effect! Thanks for sharing!
Melissa

Cheryl said...

Super card. The layers are wonderful. I never would have thought about buying a cheap book at Walmart. Thanks for the great directions and pictures.

Audrey Frelx said...

Lori, I think I said it all on your blog; this card is just too cute to call cute!

Larelyn said...

Ooooh, I just love layers and this one takes the cake. Terrific! and wonderful directions. Thank you, thank you.

Lisa said...

Wow, that is such a cute idea. What a cute card. Thanks for such an easy to follow tutorial.

Debbie said...

Love the layering on your card!!!

Sentimental Scrapper said...

Super cute!! I love the layering on the apple! How clever!!!

flowerdisco said...

great apple lori...you really rocked it! :)