September 11, 2010

Gypsy Made Simple - Sometimes You Need Just A Simple Little Card That Is Cute

This little pumpkin fits the bill. I try to host a challenge every week on the Cricut Message board to help increase our skills on the Gypsy. Each week we have new people join the message board as they purchase their new Gypsies and it takes a while to learn how to use it. I try to add new skills each week so that as we learn we can move on to more difficult designs and projects.
This is a great starter card. This weeks challenge was for a Halloween themed design. It must be created on the Gypsy, have at least 2 separate welds, 1 stretch and 1 flip using any cart. I decided to share this card because although many of us have skill that far exceeds this card, many of us don't and would love to learn... so let's take this step by step so our new owners can grow with us.
This is my gypsy screen. Notice it is a 12x12 mat, however I designed on a 12x24 as it is easier to maneuver the big pieces. I then changed back to a 12x12. Mini Monsters was used for the pumpkin, Pumkin Carvings for the face, George for the inside circle and Mickey Font for the little boo.
First I got my pumpkin and sized it to a 4.25 width, I then stretched the height to 5.5 by first tapping the little button that looks like a link,  then set the height button to 5.5 increasing the size (stretch). Now my card will fit a normal A2 envelope.
To get rid of the little lines on the pumpkin that would cut, I tapped the hide contour button and hid the little lines I did not want.
I then copied the pumpkin and using the arrow key made sure that they were one right on the other, you will know as the lines turn a yellow/green kind of color. I then flipped the pumpkin, and tapped the left arrow key until they were next to each other still overlapping ever so slightly. Then I touched the weld button. Now I copied the welded pumpkins and stacked them as you see on the above screen. I tapped on the lower set and then the ungroup button allowing the two to be seperate. I moved it over using the arrow button. I used a face from pumpkin carvings.... a smiley one as this card is for a 1 year old boy. I hid the outside edge and placed it on the right (front) pumpkin and welded them together.
I then tapped on the welded pumpkins, then tapped on the plus sign which gave me a new page. I tilted those pumpkins till they were on their side and moved them to the edge. Note you will have to trim as the blade only goes to 1/4 or 1/8th inch. Made a little circle from George to fit within the pumpkin and the word boo from the Mickey Font and welded that together. All of these items add up to a successful challenge design. Remember you MUST learn the basics of maneuvering this Gypsy to produce great designs down the road so please give yourself the time to learn and grow.
After I cut my pieces I inked all the edges of all my pieces. Score the base of the card.
I trimmed the top of the pumpkin off and adhered the green for a topper, then adhered the orange pumpkin to the yellow inside.
Here is the inside of the card. Don't know if I like the circle I wanted the edge to be lighter just like in a pumpkin and I thought the little hearts on the orange paper would look cool but, I think the next one I will just leave it yellow.
Looks cool standing up... I always like to make sure a card will stand as people set them out and display them for a couple of days.
Well that's it for today. I hope I helped a few new Gypsy owners. My best advise is to keep it simple at first and just keep designing. Your skill will continue to increase as time goes by and you will look back 6 months from now and wonder why would I design a card like this or that because you will have improved so much.  In the mean time, well I think my little Aiden will love this cute little card don't you?
Be sure to come back every Saturday as I will devote Saturdays to new Gypsy owners to they can learn to grown their skill. Please email me at ShesASassyLady@hotmail.com if there is something in particular that you don't understand that you would like me to address or demonstrate next week.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement, your comments continue to inspire me to keep sharing with you.
signature

13 comments:

Georgiana said...

I do not have a gypsy yet, but I will defintiely refer to your postings when I get one. I am hoping that the "birthday fairy" brings one.

Georgiana : )
http://carsonscricutcreations.blogspot.com/

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Sheila - I so agree that it's nice to not only teach those who just get their Gypsy but it's also so nice to have simple card that you can whip up quick! This one is so very cute! Love the little pumpkin and great for this time of year!
Melissa

Bamabel said...

Wonderful tutorial Sheila! I can't wait to try this out! I may just have to do that today! ;)

cricaholic said...

This card is ADORABLE!!!
I have a gypsy BUT I like to keep things EASY!! This card is PERFECT!!! TFS

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Adorable card!!!!!! Happy weekend!

Debbie said...

Cute card Sheila and so nice of you to help others with the gypsy. I never took the plunge to buy one, but even looking at your tutorials it still can be made with the design studio. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I clicked on the link from cricut message board. How do you switch between different mat sizes on a design you are working on?
KarenR

Paula Puckett said...

Thank you, thank you for the wonderful tutorial! I just bought the G last week. I think I just want to use it for sentiments because I don't want to link all my carts to the G. But since I've seen this tutorial, I might link a few more just so I can follow your tutorials. I love your blog and look forward to visiting it every chance I get! TFS You're an angel!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

KarenR, thank you for the question. Just click on the round silver but the same as if you were going to choose a mat or save your design, Then click on the mat and you can change the size here and continue working on your design. Just be careful when you go from a 12x24 to a smaller mat that you have all your items before cutting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks.
KarenR

Sue said...

I still have not used my Gypsy. Maybe I will try this card.

Sherri said...

Thanks for this card. My niece would love this. I have a Gypsy and it is nice to see what other people create. I will have to watch the MB for the challenges. Thanks for sharing.

C&M Creations said...

Great tutorial this will help me a lot I still have so much to learn!