May 4, 2011

Floral Embellished Picture Frame


Hey Scrappers, another wonderful day at She's A Sassy Lady! This is Kate from Sassy and Scrappy with a fun gift or home decor item. I decided to alter a picture frame for my post today. Since Spring has arrived and we're nearing Mother's Day it seemed like a great time to once again pull out the Mother's Day Bouquet Cricut cartridge. I absolutely love this cartridge and have found many uses for it. If you're interested you can find some of my other projects with this cartridge here and here.

This is the patterned cardstock that I picked for this project. Isn't is great? It's not typical Spring colors, but the oranges remind me of the sun and the plaid is just fun, while the damask brings a sense of elegance.

This is a frame I picked up from Joann's. I think their frames are always on sale, or at least there are coupons available, which is nice. An 8 by 10-inch photo will fit inside.


I used my Lori's Garden cartridge and my Imagine to print the text script on a couple pieces of cardstock. I'm in love with this feature.


I cut out 4 different styles of flowers on my 4 pieces of cardstock. Here they are before being layered and embellished.


I used two different kinds of glue on this project, a liquid glue and my glue gun. I used the glue gun to adhere the flowers to the picture frame. I figured it would give me a little more time to put the flowers where I wanted them and would allow me to move the flower if needed. I also used black, white and yellow buttons, as well and white and black pearls.


To add dimension to my flowers and each layer I used a paintbrush to curl each layer. It adds to the 3-D effect of each project and brings it to life.


A close-up of the top right side of the frame.


Although I twisted the frame around for the picture, this is actually the bottom left.


Another view of the frame on my shelf. Yes, this is me and a sweet little family friend.

Details:
  • Pattern Paper-My Mind's Eye "Ooh La La" Collection
  • Mother's Day Bouquet Cricut Cartridge-flowers cut at 2, 1 1/2 and 1-inches
  • Lori's Garden
  • Buttons-Papertrey Ink
  • Pearls-Recollections
I found completing this project much quicker than I expected. It didn't require a lot of tools and other than the frame, everything used in this project I already owned. I hope this frame will inspire you to create something for yourself or for someone special in your life...perhaps a Mom or Mother-In-Law. I always love to hear your comments and please come visit me at Sassy and Scrappy. Have a great day!

6 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a WONDERFUL gift idea and look how beautiful this frame turned out. Any mother would love to receive this as a gift. Thank you so much for sharing this great gift idea and tutorial with us today.....
and I would like to add that if you don't have that cart, George Basic Shapes has a flower that is close to this that could give a similar effect.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I just love the beautiful flowers on this frame. TFS
Sue

Java Jen's Creations said...

Beautiful!! Lovely!! Great tutorial!!

Granny said...

This is just lovely. I really like all the flowers and you are so pretty and with that adorable baby. TFS

Larelyn said...

This is just a lovely frame. TFS and telling how to do it.
Sheila, please stop by my blog for an award.
Hugs,

Anonymous said...

What a perfect Mother's Day gift. TFS
Nancy