May 30, 2011

Thanks Bunches - Flower Cart Card

Hey Ya'll,

First of all, we hope that everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day!  Time to be the "Sassy Dude" again.  Sheila invited me from Cricut Couple to be a guest designer again and I really hope you all think that this project is worthy of such an honor.  If you didn't know, we were featured on HSN's launch of the Anniversary Edition of the Cricut Expression.  They showed my Scrapbook Layout on air. Jinger Adams (Provocraft Spokesperson) made some very sweet comments about the layout and pointed out some of the more difficult techniques that I used.  I had this thought in my head for a card and wanted to really test the limits of the new machine when it comes to precision, so I finally had the chance to fulfill my thought and create this card.  Please enjoy and I would love it if you downloaded the file and gave it a try!
To start, I wanted to share the Flower Cart Card Gypsy File with you.  Just a warning, this takes a long time to cut all of these little flowers.  The end result is fantastic, but it took about an hour to cut one 12x12 sheet of all the little blossoms.
First of all, I created the flower cart using the Gypsy and welding the different pieces together.  There are extra pieces that cut with this file, but they give you more options for layering and also insures that you have a really well cut piece.  The E2 is so improved with the cutting from the original expression that, fortunately, I didn't  have any bad cuts, but the older expression would usually leave a couple of things that took extra effort to have really precise cuts.
The second Gypsy Screen is all the little flowers and the wheels for the cart.  This is the page that takes a long time to cut.
This shows how I laid out the colors for the flowers and wheels page.  You can choose any colors you want, but I thought this may help in how I did mine.
Once everything was cut, I actually left everything on the mat for a bit and used several different colored markers and a white opaque pen to detail all of these little blossoms.
  This is what the mat looks like when you pull off the extra paper.
 Once you have all of your flowers detailed, remove them from the mat and sit them aside.  You can use a stylus to shape some of the flowers.  I shaped about 2/3rds of each group of flowers.  I wanted some left flat for the background.  I used a 1/2" thick foam mat and the back of the Cuttlebug Quilling tool.  This is perfect for this technique.  Simply roll the stylus in a circular motion on the back of the flower and this will round out the flower.
 Then flip the flower over and use the tip of a pen or other pointed object (I used a Gypsy stylus) and press in the center of the flower on the face.  This will press in the middle, but your petals will stay rounded.
This is a look at a couple of the other flowers using the same technique.  To prepare the base, I used a blue mat for the background and then used scissors to cut a grassy background.  Then added some of the grass cuts to the bottom.  I also inked everything with a chocolate ink.
To assemble your card, start with the top of the cart.  This shows how I used the 3D adhesive on part of the awning and then regular scrappy glue on the other side.  This way the awning angles out.
 Use the extra rectangle pieces on the left and right sides with 3D adhesive to make the posts for the cart roof.  Then assemble the bottom of the cart.
I used a metallic brad on the center of each wheel and then glued it to the bottom of the cart.
Once your cart is all assembled, start adding your flowers.  Starting with the flat blossoms, arrange the flowers to look like a retail cart in little clumps.  While arranging the flowers, remember to add some of the green vines here and there as well.  Glue shaped flowers on top. Make sure that you save a few of the blossoms for the inside of the card.
You can see here how the different layers of the flowers really stand out.  I also added a couple of grassy pieces on the bottom of the wheels as well.  I then used Glossy Effects for the centers of the flowers and to make the Fresh Flowers on the top of the cart to stand out even more.
 For the inside of the card, I used the Gypsy to weld together the sentiment.  I thought that Thanks Bunches worked out perfectly with this design.  I also added a bouquet of flowers to the inside as well.
 This does become thick for the inside of the card, but you will see that a box was the perfect thing to make for this card.
 For the little bouquet, I simply used a piece of a heart lacy doily and cut it into a rectangle.
I used a small piece of ribbon to tie up the bouquet wrap.  I glued this directly to the inside mat.  I then added flowers and greenery until it looked like exactly like a handheld bouquet.  Now this is a larger than normal card.  This is actually 6" x 9".  I have a very simple technique to making the box.
For this box technique, you can actually use any scoreboard that you want.  I have a Martha Stewart board, so that's what I used.  You just need a straight edge measured to 1/2 inch for this entire box.  The precision is based on how well you measure your top and bottom piece.  Since this is a 6"x9" card, you will need to cut a piece of cardstock for the bottom at 7 1/8" x 10 1/8".  For the top, you need to cut the second piece 7 3/16" x 10 3/16".
Score all four sides at 1/2".  This picture shows the scoring lines.
Once scored, simply use a good pair of scissors and cut a small wedge out on the corners as shown in the above picture.
Fold the corners as shown above.  Once everything is folded, add a little bit of good paper glue on the little flap and stick together.
Once you have the corner glued, simply add a clamp or a paper clip to hold and move on to the next corner.
While the corners dry, simply cut mats to decorate your box however you want.  I cut three liner pieces 6"x9".  One for the top inside, one for the bottom inside and one for the top on the outside.  I also added a couple of smaller mats to really decorate the top of it.
You can see in this picture (above) just how precise this card box turns out.  By measuring your cuts and scoring in the same place, you have the perfect alignment and the perfect cover for your creation.  You can see in the bottom left picture so precise the card fits inside the box and how important it is to have the 1/2" thickness as the card has so many layers.
Thank you so much for visiting today!  I would love to hear your comments and I really hope that Jinger will stop by and comment as well.  We would love for you to check out Cricut Couple to see our other designs.  Most Sincerely, Bobby

32 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

This is AMAZING. I love all the detail... I just keep lookking and looking at this GORGEOUS project and I don't know what to say! Amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing this Gorgeous Floral cart with us today!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sheila this project is amazing and their are no words to describe how beautiful. TFS
Sue

Granny said...

Oh look how pretty this is! I just love all the color and detail. I went to London years ago and this reminds me of a street flower cart I saw there. TFS as it brought back pleasant memories.

tt.scraps said...

Wow, wow, WOW!!! What a great job! Lots of great detail and a lot of work! :)

mfc.melissamade2 said...

This is awesome!! Love all the details and colors...such a lot of work and it shows - this is a gorgeous creation...I love the little bouquet too!!
Hugs,
M

christhedolllady said...

Your card is AWESOME! Such beautiful detail! Thank you so much for sharing. I may even give it a try!

Cindy Beland said...

WOW AMAZING card!SOOO Beautiful work and LOVE all PRETTY flowers!!:)

Anonymous said...

Wow - Wow - Wow this is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.
Sandy

Anonymous said...

This looks like something you see in a movie. I love it.
Nancy

gardener said...

Oh, goodness, that is one amazing bunch of flowers. Simply outstanding.

Amy said...

This is stunning! I am just speechless. Thanks for the tutorial, but I'm afraid I'm intimidated by those tiny flowers! Fabulous card!

Java Jen's Creations said...

Oh my!!! This is stunningly beautiful!!! I really want to try this!! Thank you so much for such a wonderful tutorial!! Great pictures too!

Anonymous said...

Wow, absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Must have taken you forever to put these together, but they are just BEAUTIFUL!!! Tfs! -Sam :-)

scootingranny said...

I am sitting here with my jaw dropping. Amazing. Wonderful, Creative, Georgous...superlatives fail me right now.

Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous creation and the cut file with us.

Jeannie said...

The detail! The colors! It is truly art! I just love this.

Bamabel said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love it!!!

Dawn, RI said...

what a beautiful card, , I would definetly this in a shadow box frame... Thanks for sharing. Wish I knew how to dl gypsy files.
Dawn RI
abosoffit@hotmail.com

Shari said...

What a gorgeous card. this is one I would do evenn though it is VERY time

Where do I download the file? I didn't see it and I looked on this site and the Cricut Couple site as well.

THANKS for a wonderful explanation of how you made the card, very complete.

syoung6987 at aol dot com

Judi said...

I love your card. It must have taken forever to finish it and it was well worth the time. I hope the person who receives it really appreciates it.

papillon digital design said...

Awesome job! Love love love the card. TFS

CathyinMN said...

Bobby, love your card! It is absolutely wonderful, fabulous, etc. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Unknown said...

This is stunning!!!! Love the cart and the 3Dnes of it! Gorgeous flowers!! Love it!

Sandi Clarkson said...

Wow, this is amazing! What a lot of effort you put forth on this one. It's just heavenly!

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Cricut Freebies Search List, under the Flowers post on May. 31, 2011. Thanks again.

Grannymama said...

This is so beautiful...just wondering, how can you convert this to a Design Studio file. I don't own a Gypsy and have no plans to buy one.

SherriC. said...

Gorgeous,
great tutorial
TFS!!!!

Lisa said...

WOW WOW WOW, this has to be one of the most beautiful cards I have every seen, I just love those flowers and the stand is so darling, love all the details and the box is perfect. What a fantastic tutorial, GREAT JOB. :)

Carrie K said...

OMG! This card is amazing!! Wow! I am just in awe!! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!!!!

THEBUZYBUG said...

What a fabulous card! TFS.

Kards by Kathi said...

I LOVE your flower cart and was wondering what the measurements of the papers on your mat were for cutting out the flower and the wheels et al are? I would love to make it. Thanks.

Angi Barrs said...

EEEEK...what an adorable flower cart. Love it. :)

Patty Mc said...

Wow...absolutely stunning work!! I am going to attempt to make this for a very special teacher, I hope that mine comes out even close to yours!! Thank you for sharing this project with everyone.