May 23, 2011

Free Standing Pop Up Card

Happy Monday Everyone! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend with your friends and families! Aymee Gandy of 'A Scraphappy Southernbelle' here with you on this beautiful Monday morning to share a card that I hope you'll give a try! I sat down this weekend to create a project for today and I was completely scrap-blocked! LOL! Is that a word? I just was having a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do. Whenever I am going through these moods I always like to hop over to the 'resources page' at Splitcoast Stampers. They have so many wonderful tutorials over there and it always gets my mojo flowing again. During this weekend's visit, I found a tutorial for a 'free standing pop up card,' and knew I wanted to give it a try. Here is my finished card:
To begin, I read over the tutorial at Splitcoast Stampers a few times. If you would like to see that tutorial, go HERE. I took pictures as I went along as well to share my process with you. So here we go...

1. Cut a piece of cardstock to 4 1/4 x 11" long. You will score this sheet of cardstock to create your 'free standing' base portion of the card. You may use a 'Scor-Pal' if you have one. If not, you can use the groove in your paper trimmer and a bone folder. Normally, I use the paper trimmer/bone folder method. However, I am currently visiting my family in Alabama and I had the opportunity to use my Mom's 'Scor-Pal.' This is one nifty tool let me tell you! I have got to get me one of these!

You will score the piece of cardstock at 1", 2 3/4", 3 3/4", 5 1/2", 7 1/4", 8 1/4", and 10".
 2. To create the space for the 'tag' to slide down into, you will want to measure 5/8" in from the edge on each side at the middle point (5 1/2") of your cardstock. Mark each of these with a pencil.  Cut between these marks to create the slit for your tag to slide down into. You may use a trimmer, craft knife, or scissors to cut the slit.
Now, if you want to create a dimensional tag, you will want to cut this slit a bit fatter. Of course, I had to do this. I always like to add things like pearls, rhinestones, flowers, etc. So I took my craft knife, metal ruler, and glass mat and made my slit wider. The glass mat really made life easier for this. It helps the blade on the knife glide so much smoother.
3. Fold along your score lines to create your base as shown below. On the 1" scored sections at the ends, you will want to apply a strong adhesive such as 'Sticky Strip.' Set Aside. It should look something like this:
4. Now it is time to create our tag for our pop up card. For the tag base, cut a piece of cardstock/patterned paper to 2 1/2" x 5". For the tag shadow, cut a coordinating piece of cardstock/patterned paper to 2 3/4" x 5 1/4".
5. Decorate your tag as desired. (I chose to wait and add my ribbon at the top and embellishments to the tag afterwards.)
6. Slide the tag down into the slit of the base.
7. Attach one side of your tag to the sticky strip/adhesive of your choice. Make sure that the tag is centered.
8. Fold up the other side and attach as seen below. Once assembled, you may decorate the base of your card if desired.
9. Voila!!!  You have a free standing pop up card. Isn't that fun?! I know I had a ball creating this one!
The card will fold flat as well to fit into an evelope.
I hope you have enjoyed today's post and will give this technique a try! It really was so simple and fast! Also, I hope you all have a fabulous day!!! Happy Scrappin' to ya!

8 comments:

Carla's Cards said...

Wow that is one neat card, I love it! Thanks for the tutorial!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Aymee this card is beautiful. Love how it stands up and demands attention! Great color choice. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial this with us today.

Donna Lee said...

Thanks for sharing this! Love the lace! You've inspired me and perhaps tonight I can make one for a craft show that I'm going to be at this Fall!

Java Jen's Creations said...

Lovely card!! I love the tutorials over at Split Coast stampers too! Thanks for your great tutorial!

Cricut Couple said...

Just Amazing! What a wonderful tutorial!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

This is so cool, love it! TFS

Kraftychick said...

A couple of years ago, I used this same technique to make place cards for my Thanksgiving dinner - of course, I had a turkey on the pop-up part - thanks for sharing this as a card!

Jackie

Beth said...

Great Tutorial, I love this card!