May 26, 2011

Think vinyl is expensive?

So do I! Hi everyone! Roberta here from TXScrapperMom. I had never taken the time or resources, for that matter :) to try out any sort of vinyl projects, but finally decided I wanted to! I wasn't doing anything special, so I reached for the affordable alternative - the contact paper in the pantry - and gave it a go. I'm sure I am not the first person to try this method, but boy, does it ever work!

I have two of these wonderful carrier in different colors - they are great for cupcakes if you use the tray, and for cookies and such without it. I use it A LOT (once a week, or more), and decided it needed a little something. Here's how it turned out....



I really do wish contact paper came in different colors,
because it really is cheap and easy to find...

I know this may be a give, but just in case...
set it on your mat paper-side-down

Set your blade depth to 3, and your pressure to 2
(any highter, and it'll cut through the paper)
...and voilĂ !!
It cut perfectly, without cutting the paper backing! It's easy to remove, and adhere! Now I have to make the orange one just as pretty! :)

7 comments:

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

What a great idea! TFS

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a great idea. I never thought of using contact paper instead of the vinyl! Thanks so much for this wonderful tip. Love your project. Thanks for sharing with us today.

Nanne said...

Sweet!! I can't wait to try this at home.. Love the idea and keep looking for different colors, I'm sure there are some out there.. I live in Finland and we have them..thnx for sharing :)
hugs
Nanné

Java Jen's Creations said...

Wow! Fantastic idea!! Great idea for your treat container, too!!

Got2BCrafting said...

That is soo cute! I am pretty sure that contact paper comes in different color. I use the clear contact paper for my transfer tape...works perfectly! :)
Lori

Lisa said...

Great idea, yes vinyl is expensive, contact paper is just as good and it's the same concept. Here in Massachusetts, our stores have contact paper in all colors, even marble and woodgrain.

jennifer said...

our stores have contact paper is tons of colors as well. jsut an fyi, you can contact local sign shops and see if they will give or sell you their scraps. not all will do so. mine does as my niece and brother work there. i can't chose my colors, but free is free!