May 2, 2011

Sassy Graduation Cards

Hi this is Lori from ScrappinMyStressAway!!  Since May brings graduations, I thought this would be a good time to make some cards for the high school seniors in my life.
 
I started out creating a background out of 2011(Doodletype 0.73h) and a graduation cap (Locker Talk 0.73h). I rotated the numbers and cap 90 degrees. I did this because I purposely wanted to stack the layers like bricks and ran the rest of the line off the page. That would have been harder to do (for me anyway) without rotating it.
 
Once I had one 4x6 area completed, I grouped it and copied it three times. This way I can make four cards at once. I also kept one set in a separate layer just in case I need one or two more cards. With a high schooler, you never know!!
 
 Here is the Amy Chomas pen holder that I won in the First Disney Pixar Blog Hop. I took out my blade housing and replaced it with the pen holder and a black gel pen.

Instead of cutting, the cricut will draw your images. 
I trimmed them down to fit on my card front. I did use card blanks from Michaels for my cards and envelopes because I had them already.
I cut coordinating high school colors and glued them to the face of the card.
 
I went back to my Gypsy and found some banners (Mother's Day 2010 sized at 1.35w x 1.47h) and used the same 2001(0.73h).
 
I loaded up my papers and cut out the images. 
At the last minute, I copied and pasted 2011 two more times for the blue and orange cards. 
I left the banner pieces on the mat and glued on the numbers.
 
I used some thin beading twine to string the banner flags together and pop-dotted them to the paper I made. I mounted this paper onto color coordinated papers. 
I tied blue ribbon between the flags, but it was missing something..... 
I glued the blue paper to the orange card, but it was still missing something... 
I grabbed a pack of Jolee's graduation caps and diplomas with gems in it and got a little blingy!
 
Here are the three finished color combinations. This project will be easy to save and change up a little bit for next year too!  Happy Graduation to all of the seniors out there!!

Thank you Sheila for having me on your blog today!!

Lori

8 comments:

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

so pretty!!!!! Love it, thanks for sharing!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What wonderful cards these are and perfect timing with all the graduations just around the corner. Thanks for joining us today ans sharing this great tutorial. It certainly will help us get ready for this graduation season.

Anonymous said...

Love your cards. TFS
Sue

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Lori - these are so adorable...I love using the pens and it's awesome b/c you can customize for school colors!!! Gorgeous and the banner is too cute too!!
TFS!
Hugs,
M

CrafteA said...

Awesome!

Java Jen's Creations said...

Love these cards!! Such a great idea!! I'm really loving all the banner ideas lately!!

Michelle said...

TFS, I guess I do need the gel pen and holder. I just purchased the markers I'm behind the times lol.

SherriC. said...

these are a great idea, my son will be Graduating this June, so I need some ideas, I love the little banners....TFS!!!!