November 6, 2011

Creating Bargello Designs with Paper

Hi, my name is Carolyn Lineberger and I am honored to be the guest designer for Sassy Lady today.  When Shelia contacted me about creating a project for this blog, I was beyond excited!  I hope you will enjoy the project and will want to create your own designs using Bargello.
Bargello is similair to weaving; however, the strips are not woven.  The strips are glued into place, cut again, and then arranged to form patterns.  Helene Metivier is credited  with adapting Bargello to create paper quilts.  I found the instructions for Bargello Designs with paper in THE ART AND CRAFT OF HANDMADE CARDS by Diane Maurer-Mathison (2003).

You will need:

**1 patterned sheet paper/cardstock (with at least 3 different colors)
**3 sheets coordinated solid colored paper/cardstock
**1 sheet white/neutral background paper
**Paper trimmer
**Double-sided adhesive film (I used a Tacky Tape sheet)
**Scissors
I liked this patterned paper.  I used a red marker to add the color.

Cut 1/4 inch strips of the patterned paper and solid paper using the paper trimmer
Lay the adhesive sheet on a flat surface and completely remove the top layer.  Lay the strips down horizontally alternating the colors and patterned paper.  Be sure the strips touch each other and they are perfectly straight.  Place the patterned paper in a pleasing design.
When the surface is covered, trim away the excess paper on the sides.
Cut this block vertically into 1/4 inch strips.  This will form small blocks of color on the strips.
Check the white/neutral background paper to be sure the edges are straight.  I lay the paper on my  trimmer and run the blade down the edge just to be sure.  It is important this sheet be perfectly straight!  Remove the backing from the strips and begin laying them on the background paper to form a pattern of your choice.  Arrange the strips to form a pattern by moving strips up or down a colored square to form a consistent pattern.
Notice the pattern at the bottom of the design.  Continue placing the strips on the background paper until you get the desired results. 
Then layer the design on a card front.
Now...let's take it a step further!
Here is a card that I made using the black, red, and white Bargello Design.
I cut 1 1/2 inch squares from the design and arrange them on a card front, added a ribbon and sentiment.

The Snow Couple!
I used shades and tints of blue paper to create a Bargello Design and then made a card using the Snow Couple from the Cricut Cartridge "Winter Woodland". 
The frame is a Spellbinder die.

I hope you have been inspired to try Bagello Designs! 

Please come for a visit at
Carolyn's Creative Corner

21 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Carolyn, these are gorgeous. This is something I have never attempted to do. It is so awesome, I love the look of the final projects. Thank you for sharing this technique with us today.

Carla's Cards said...

Wow what a great idea, I love this, thanks for sharing!

papillon digital design said...

wow. This is the first time I have come across this technique. This is awesome.TFS

Unknown said...

Tgoodness, it's been years since I did this technique, thanks for bringing it back Caroline :)
Hugs
Adele

littlen said...

what a great technique. i've never seen this before. i'm also a cross stitcher, but never thought to incorporate stitches into paper crafting. tfs.

Simply Sassy Scrapper said...

This is great! TFS! Something new to me and I cannot wait to use it!!!

cdm317 said...

This is wonderful! Thanks to Carolyn for the wonderful tutorial!
Colleen

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Oh my Carolyn!!! This is a fabulous tutorial and idea...at first I thought WOW that must be a lot of work! You are so clever! I love it - thanks for sharing your designs - I LOVE the black, red and white pattern and the snowman card! Beautiful!
hugs,
M

Gina piazza said...

Wow! What an awesome technique. Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to try it!

OCCricut said...

Carolyn ... LOVE this look .. .I"m partial to quilts, so this is simply gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing in such great detail!!! Very helpful!

Kelly said...

Fab technique. Will be having a go at this soonx

Dayna Sabrina said...

Okay, I have not the patience for this type of project but I certainly respect the skill it takes to pull it off with such wonderful results. Great project Carolyn - as always! And thanks for sharing. ~ Sabrina

Lisa said...

Very pretty designs. Looks like a lot of work but the results are worth it. Love how each one looks so different.

Unknown said...

what a great way to make background papers! Love the geometric look!!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

This is just so awesome.. thanks for sharing it...they are beautiful.
hugs from ukiah

Audrey Frelx said...

Wow, this is an awesome technique!!! The patterns look great!!! I've seen it before but it's been quite a long time ago!!!

TFS!!!

Cricut Couple said...

Stunning! This is a fantastic! Thanks for sharing with us!

mimiof2 said...

These are all so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing them and also for the fantastic tutorial.
Karen

Peggy T. said...

Carolyn, I will be trying this technique. Thank you for the detailed instructions. I love the Snow Couple cards.

GabyCreates.com said...

WOW, and to think that I have the same cutter but most of the time have a hard time cutting a straight line!...you cut how many straight at 1/4"?? that in itself is amazing to me... Lots of work that obviously pays off!! Love it!

Java Jen's Creations said...

Wow!!! This is an amazing technique and your creations are sooo beautiful!! Thanks for the super tutorial so that I can give this a try!!