November 10, 2011

"Look Whoooo's 1" layout using a photo fold-out

Hello everyone! Hope your fall is fabulously full of fantastically fun things!! :-)  (I tried to think of a word that started with "f" besides "things" but came up short! Haha!)  This is Java Jen from Java Jen Creations here to share a 1st Birthday project with you!  Thank you, Sheila, for another opportunity!

Our oldest grandson will be celebrating his first birthday on December 2nd so I wanted to come up with a special layout! I created this layout using the November kit from Club Ruby Designers. To see this entire kit and check out a special deal going on right now, click HERE ! 

Here is the completed layout and I'll show you how I did it - it's very simple really!

Make a photo fold-out by scoring a 12x12 piece of paper at 4" and 8". Rotate once and repeat. Only cut out the corners and fold the other score lines. I used a leaf border punch on the inside 2 flaps and trimmed a little off of the sides on all the flaps so it would close easier. 

Make mats for the inside of fold out by cutting 3.25" squares of brown and green card stock. If you are going to use thin magnetic snaps to keep it closed, you will want to adhere them underneath the card stock mats so they are not seen.  (I didn't think of this until after so I will come up with another way to keep it closed.) 

Here it is partially closed:

All the way closed:

Prepare the layout by adhering 12" strips of ribbon as shown. (Forgot to take a pic of the second ribbon on here!)

Adhere the fold out on top of the ribbon by putting adhesive on the center panel only. I used a Puffie in the kit to embellish a bit.

I used the Thickers in the kit to put part of my title on the cover of the fold out.

To make the owl, I used the Campin' Critters Cricut cartridge and cut it and its layers out at 5.51".  Of course, I had to use my white gel pen to do a little stitching! :-)

For the rest of the title, I used the Pooh Font cartridge.  I used the Cricut markers first then cut it out so they would be outlined. I especially like using the markers when I use this cartridge because it brings out the wood look.  The letters are cut at 2.18". 

Here it is all put together and with the fold out open. This is where extra pics will be going!

All done and closed:

In case anyone is wondering what our precious little, almost 1 year-old grandson looks like, I'm more than happy to oblige! :-)
Isn't he just adorable??

Thanks for stopping by today!












15 comments:

Janice said...

Great layout and I love the photo mat you added. Your grandson is a cutie!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

At the airport and checking in... Love this layout! And look at that precious little one. Thank for sharing with us today.

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Oh this is super adorable! I love this fun little layout - what a fun way to place the pictures and have a gorgeous layout - love the owl and the stitching you added!
Gorgeous,
Melissa

Cricut Couple said...

Oh Jen, this is perfection! I love how you made the fold out thingy. It's a great was to get the most out of the page. I also love the font you used. I really love using that font! I hate to say this though... Your grandson is so cute that he totally stole the show on this post. Hee! Hee! Looks like quite the ham too. Hee! Hee! What a talented designer you are!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

WAY to cute.. I love the fold out photo.. and what a adorable little grandson you have... SUPER cute layout.

Lisa said...

What an adorable layout. Love the photo fold out. I'm going to have to give that a try. Your grandson is absolutely adorable, love those blue eyes. Happy Birthday to him. ;)

Kelly said...

This is very sweet. I like the hidden section for photos. Hadn't thought to do that x

Unknown said...

Terrific job Jen!!
Love everything about it, your Grandson is adorable too :)
Hugs
Adele

Audrey Frelx said...

Oh, Jen, how adorable!!! It came together just too cute!!!

Your grandson is such a little cutie!!!

Jeannie said...

This is awfully cute! Thanks for sharing a great idea!

Bunnyfreak said...

What an adorable page to showcase that cutie.

Anonymous said...

Your layout is really, really cute. But...your grandson is just too adorable for words.

Snowmanlover said...

Ohhhh loving this one!!! I don't have that cart but want it now. Cute baby!!

Sherrie K. said...

This is so super cute! I love the owl cut and the darling photo fold out:) Nice job!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

janner said...

He is precious!!! Love your layout and photo mat. I'll try and make it. Looks a little daunting for me. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Jan